Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 17th, 2006 16:00

Problem installing Windows Server 2003 R2 using Dell CD - Installation and server management

I am installing the OS on a PowerEdge 2950 using the Dell CD - Installation and server management. My OS is Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise.

At the beginning, everything goes fine, i am able to enter my settings and everything. Once i am asked to insert my Windows cd, i insert the cd and wait for the copy. Around 98% percent, i get an error : The disk or CD you inserted may be damaged or is unreadable ...

Well, i tried with another cd/image, same problem. The cd is readable on other computers.

I am using the version 5.1 of the "Installation and server management" cd.

Hope anyone could help. I need this server pretty soon.

Thanks in advance

2.4K Posts

November 17th, 2006 17:00

hi

have you try with a other cd ??? on it Windows Server 2003 R2

21 Posts

November 20th, 2006 23:00

I'm having this same problem. I burned an ISO from the MSDN DVD I have, did a CRC check against the disc so I know it's not the disc. I ended up installing without using the Dell CD and it worked fine. Granted I'd like to start over and this time use the Dell CD since I've not fully set everything up yet.

I'm installing 2003 R2 x64 Enterprise Edition.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2006 17:00

Got it, it was a CD error. I tried with 2 different CD burned from the same ISO and it was not working. Finally, we burned a copy from the original CD and it is now working.

But, i know the cd i had was working, it was used for an installation the day earlier my installation. Then, my question is, do we need special settings to have an accepted cd ? Does the cd needs a special name or anything else ?

After a double check, the copy failed at 95%. So i got the error only at the end of the copy. Looks like Dell software is performing a kind of CRC check at the end and it was incorrect.

1 Message

February 12th, 2007 03:00

I had the same problem, after talking to Dell technical support we concluded that it might be an issue with the CD-ROM drive so I used an external CD-ROM drive to do the installation and it worked fine. I tried it with both Windows 2003 x64 and Windows 2003 R2 x64 and they worked fine using the external drive. The manufacturer of my drive was Toshiba Samsung model TS-L462D/DEAH dated October 2006.
No Events found!