Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2006 12:00

Problems loading Recovery Console

Hi Guys,

I'm new here so be gentle with me;-) I've got a Dell Poweredge 750 running Windows 2003 Server. I came back froma trip to find that the recent electrical storms had crashed the server, (I know... buy that for-always putting off UPS). I re-boot the server and it tells me that NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing. OK so it's either corrupt or the BOOT.INI is corrupt.

So I boot from the the REINSTALLATION CD for the OS that DELL supplied with the server in the hope of running the RECOVERY CONSOLE. However, I don't get the opportunity to load RC, the system detects the existing partitions and offers a clean install, (no recovery options). Is this an issue with the re-installation CD or what? I've even tried booting off a DOS disk and looking for the the Recovery Console on the CD, no joy there either. Theres no WINNT32 directory under the i386 directory! Can anyone offer a solution for obtaining a copy of RECOVERY CONSOLE and making my own boot CD with it

What is the actual name of the Recovery Console executable, I'm assuming it's something like RCONSOLE.EXE, but a little voice in my head tells me that's something else altogether?

Thanks in Advance for any help that you might ben able to offer.

Rgds

OG

829 Posts

August 7th, 2006 20:00

Here is what you do to use the Repair option or Recovery Console on the Dell OEM Media:

1. Remove the following lines from the default WINNT.SIF file in the Dell Recovery media (blue and white label titled Windows Server 2003 Reinstallation CD). The "UnattendedInstall=Yes" line in the "Data" section does not have to be deleted. Both lines below must be removed!

[Unattended]

Unattendmode = "defaulthide"

2. Save the updated WINNT.SIF file to a floppy disk

3. Put the floppy disk in the floppy drive and boot the system off the Dell Recovery media. NTLoader will load the WINNT.SIF from the floppy and use that instead of the one in the Dell Recovery CD. Then you will have the option for the Recovery Console, etc.

4 Posts

August 7th, 2006 22:00

Mark,

thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I wanted to know!!

Rgds

OG
No Events found!