Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2009 07:00

QUESTION ABOUT INSTALLING UBUNTU ON POWEREDGE T100 OR T300

I wanted to ask you people a question, sorry to bother you.

I have been asking in many websites and forums if I can install Opensuse or Ubuntu on a Dell PowerEdge T100 or T300 (that i am planning to buy), and everybody just gives me the list of Dell´s website of the OS´s compatible with those servers.

What I want to know and I really would appreciate your answer is :

Can I install any flavor of linux on those servers or is there any restriction in the BIOS for the installation. If one of those flavors does not work there is another problem I just want to know if the installation is possible

thanks in advance

ERNESTO

172 Posts

February 10th, 2009 12:00

The BIOS does not restrict what OS you can load on your system. 
The problem may be with the drivers, if the distro you are trying to install is missing driver for devices on the system you may have problems (i.e.: if Ubuntou does not carry a device driver for the boot controller, the installation will fail because Linux cannot find a disk to install to)
That OS list you talk about is probably not a “compatible” list but, a supported/validated by Dell list.  If you have problems with one of these Linux distro’s that is not on the list, Dell will not give support to resolve it.

2 Posts

February 13th, 2009 04:00

To me it seems that the BIOS has set some limitations on what operating systems I can boot from, see this post http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19253940.aspx...

No Events found!