Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

December 5th, 2016 18:00

Retrieving Microsoft Volume License Authorization ID and License Number for Windows Server after IT Employee left company

Hi folks,

I am working with a company (that I have actually worked with for over 10 years on a consulting basis) and we are auditing our Microsoft Windows Server and server product licenses and preparing to upgrade Windows Server products.  We have ran into a snag, where the former System Administrator left the company a few years ago, however it was understood that the information regarding the VLSC was transferred to another partner in the company.  A new Systems Administrator has taken over, and we have determined that we do not have this information, including a Microsoft account username and password to access the VLSC and our Windows Server 2008R2 product keys, license agreements, SKUs, and downloads.  Unfortunately, the situation became took a turn for the worse about three months ago when the partner that had this information passed away.  No one at the company has access to this login information.  I currently administer most of their licensing, and have access to their much of their licensing information, download, product keys, etc., but I am clearly missing some very important ones.  I called Microsoft and they were of no assistance.  Since I am an administrator on the network, I can create a mailbox that the VLSC was probably originally registered under, however the VLSC says that Microsoft account is not even valid, not even prompting for the password.

I have a mailbox on their Exchange Server for their domain to prove I am associated with the company, as well as Licensing IDs and Authorization IDs that I have previous sold them.  The volume licenses in question are for Windows Server, and were sold with ESXi and vCenter with two R610s and MD3200.  Can someone at Dell please assist me with gaining access to this important information?

Thank you.

112 Posts

December 6th, 2016 21:00

Call your Dell Sales person, give them the order # for the Volume licenses that were purchased from Dell and ask them to resend the email for the authorization ID. Typically when you purchase a VL for a Windows OS from Dell, you immediately receive a email from your Sales person with a authorization ID. At this point with this ID you would then go to MS's VL site, create a login, or use your existing login, enter the ID, and you would be able to access licenses associated with the authorization ID. The fact that these VL's are already associated with another MS account would be something that you would have to deal with MS regarding as Dell has no access to this administration from MS.

No Events found!