Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2014 01:00

Server Newbie having problems installing windows small business server 2008 on PE 840

Hello, I'm new to servers and the Dell community. I have been searching the forum for 2 days in search of some answers to my problem.

Through reading on this forum I have found out that I needed to download the system build and update utility cdu_1.6_core_173_A01  also the OM_5.2.0_ISM_A00.ISO so I did and i got the 840 to boot the utility disk. "at this point you can imagine my excitement" But... when i went through all the steps that went as seemed correct leading up to the point where I had to choice the OS I couldn't see my OS in the list. so I tried what seemed to be maybe the closest.....and no luck. Got wrong media error. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong or have not downloaded the correct disk but I'm hoping someone can help.  

the disk I have  is

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard Edition

• License Type:Media Only
  • License Pricing:Volume

Marketing Information

Windows Small Business Server 2008 incorporates best-of-breed product technologies to deliver a fully integrated environment that helps small businesses protect business data, increase productivity, and present a more professional image to customers. Windows Small Business Server 2008 combines several server technologies under one Microsoft license.

General Information

• Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
  • Manufacturer Part Number: T72-02402
  • Manufacturer Website Address: www.microsoft.com
  • Product Name: Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard Edition
  • Product Type: Operating System
  • Brand Name: Microsoft

Product Information

• Software Sub Type: Server
  • Software Name: Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard Edition
  • Features:
  • Strong IT Foundation
  • Messaging and Collaboration
  • Collaboration and Productivity
  • E-mail Security
  • Network Updates and Protection
  • Server Protection
  • Take business online
  • Database
  • Affordable, Integrated Solution
  • Protect Your Business Data
  • Grow Your Business Capacity
  • Language Support: English
  • Distribution Media/Method: DVD-ROM
  • Platform Support: PC

License Information

• License Type: Media Only
  • License Pricing: Volume

Miscellaneous

System Requirements

Processor:

• 2 GHz or faster (Recommended)

Hard Disk:

• 60 GB

Memory:

• Minimum: 4 GB RAM
  • Maximum: 32 GB RAM

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 11th, 2014 06:00

ISM is obsolete and does not work with 2008. We know what SBS is ... We didn't need all the marketing info :) SBUU with 2008 or later also requires the driver pack, so I would just use SMTD, which also contains the driver pack. Using the latest SBUU or SMTD will REQUIRE the latest service pack to be on your media. You could also just install directly from the Windows media and load all the drivers yourself.

8 Posts

January 11th, 2014 08:00

well sorry for giving too much info. i just as i said am new to server have no clue and wasn't sure if i was giving the correct info needed for any one that might have tried to help.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 12th, 2014 15:00

"well sorry for giving too much info"

There is no such thing as "too much info" in tech support ... it just wasn't relevant :)  (note the smiley's ... I'm not chastising you ... you said you were new to this ... just showing you the ropes)

Have you made any progress?

8 Posts

January 14th, 2014 00:00

Unfortunately not yet, I have houghsnet and i used up my monthly allowance downloading unnecessary things to try to get it to work. i searched for the SMTD and came up with what i believed to be rite, but houghsnet is so slow after used up allowance that the downloads keep failing, the file is 2+gb's so ill have to wait until my gb's get renewed at end of month or take my laptop somewhere and download it. Ive been spending my time meanwhile reading up and have found out i have a lot to learn. Thank you and I will report back as soon as I get The SMTD and try it.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2014 09:00

Here is a link to SMTD, to possibly save you more unnecessary downloads.  I was not where I could get you a link before.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-840?driverId=68RWT&osCode=LHS64&fileId=2731101038&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SZ

You will need BOTH DVD images, and will need to concatenate them using the copy /b command ... check the Installation Instructions on the download page for each ISO for more details.

"Ive been spending my time meanwhile reading up and have found out i have a lot to learn."

If you have any questions, let me know.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 24th, 2014 12:00

Install directly from the operating system DVD.  You will need to configure RAID manually in the configuration utility for your controller, and you will need to load the driver for that controller during the installation process.

Which controller do you have?

8 Posts

January 24th, 2014 12:00

Thank you for the help, but I am still having a problem i download and merged files with no issue's.  the problem I am having now is that i run the SMTD and when I get to the select operating system menu I still do not find my operating system in the list. My disk is a  Original not copied with COA  windows small business sever 2008 standard 64 bit.  As Im sure your more then aware of this from my first post. but in the list I have tried to load it using these choices  " essential business server 2008,  windows server 2008 R2 x64,   windows small business server 2011"    all of coarse with no success                " not  that I expected any because I am aware that none of them correspond to my disk"

but i figured I would try them because my os is not in the list?   Any ideas short of buying a os that is in the list?

Thank you for any help

8 Posts

January 24th, 2014 13:00

SO I guess Im clueless I tried to find out what I have for a controller and I apparently cant find it, also I tried to load from the disk and as it starts it comes up with a window as its loading that says 

system build and update utility

please insert a valid windows server 2008 dvd into dvd drive

so I suspect that it has the previous attempt still in it and its trying to boot off the last session with SMTD

Is there a way to reset the set up so i can boot from disk?

8 Posts

Oh yes sorry I did know what controller i have i was thinking something different SAS 5   and I have removed the SMTD and rebooted with my os disk but everytime i get the same message and it ejects my disk

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

The controller should be listed during POST, on the screen as things load.  PERC 5/6, SAS 5/6, CERC, etc.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

It is booting to files it wrote to your hard drive during the [aborted] install ... you need to go to the BIOS Setup (F2) and change the boot order so that your CD/DVD drive is FIRST.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Remove the SMTD DVD, insert the SBS disc, and reboot.

8 Posts

January 24th, 2014 14:00

OK  well I did that and it went rite back to the same screen after the server beeped repeatedly for a minute so im guessing i need to find a beep code list for the machine and repair that issue first.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 24th, 2014 17:00

Maybe your OS disc is bad.

What is the beep code/pattern?

8 Posts

January 25th, 2014 05:00

the os disk is new,

it  rapidly beeps for 10 or 15 seconds very quick pause does the same thing over and over about 3 times

No Events found!