Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 17th, 2009 12:00

System Requirements for VMWARE ESXi 3.5 client VMs

Don't know if this is the right forum for thiss but here goes... Purchased a PE 1950 G3 back in May, 1 Xeon E5410. 4 Gb Ram, 160 GB RAID.

Originally installed with windows 2008 Std server 32-bit. Focus of original project changed from Terminal services to Virtualization.

4GB memory and additional processor upgrade to this server for total of 8GB of RAM with 160 GB RAID.

Now using Dell Optimized VMWare ESXi 3.5 U4 (because it was free) and wanting to host 2 2008 server R2 VMs (1DC and 1 Termserv) and 3 XP Pro VMs (20 GB each) converted from current production servers. Question is this. Do I have sufficient server resources to support the desired VMs???

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

November 17th, 2009 14:00

You'd want to check what your current processor, memory and disk-I/O characteristics of your existing machines are, add them together, and see if it would fit on your existing system.

If you don't have enough processor power, your VMs will just run slower. If you don't have enough memory, your VMs will also just be slower. The only item that's a hard cap is the disk space

2 Posts

December 4th, 2009 14:00

Hello, what i know is that in ESX 3.5 U4, Windows 2008 R2 is not officially supported. About the resources what matters actually is the VMs requirements. You can also could create different resources pools in ESX and split your resources (mem and cpu) depending the importance of the VMs. My recomendation is to add more memory to the host and also be sure that you install Vmware tools in all the vms, also check after the P2V (physicall to virtual) conversion that there is not any original driver listed and the system is using the drivers provided by the vmware tools installation.

Regards,

J. :emotion-15:

No Events found!