Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2012 14:00

USB 3.0 Card

Hi all. I have a Dell Poweredge 1800 and a Dell PowerEdge T300 an di want to put a usb 3.0 card in each one but the ones I purchased do not fit. I bought a USB 3.0 PCI-Express card, but after opening up the units there are no slots that match the card. Can someone please help me with this? The cards I bought are not very long at all and the ports on the mother board are longer. What do I need for these to work?

Did I buy the wrong thing? Can someone send me a link to an ebay usb 3.0 card that would work in both servers so I can see where I messed up. This i s what I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-4-Port-PCI-Express-PCI-E-Card-Super-Speed-5Gbps-w-4-Pin-Power-Cable-New-/170783215936?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item27c3791140

ANy help is appreciated. Thank You

• 

6.2K Posts

September 17th, 2012 15:00

So there is no way to get a card that will work in the server? How can I get it to 3.0 ports?

I'm not saying there is not a way. I don't have a recommendation for a card because we have not validated one to work. If you cannot locate someone that has already tested a card to function in the server then it will be trial and error.

Thanks

So there is no way to get a card that will work in the server? How can I get it to 3.0 ports?

I understand that I was just wondering of someone could send a Link to a card that could fit into the slots and I will try it but all the ones that I have found are all short in length like the one I posted.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Sorry ... confused ... the description states x16, but the picture is clearly of an x1 card.

This "should" work in ANY PCIe slot (MUST be PCIe!) ... the slot may be longer than the card, but that is by design of the PCIe specification - any card that fits will work.  That is just the physical spec, however ... there may be resource issues or other incompatibilities (going back to our discussion on server vs. desktop) that may prevent it from working at all.  According to Daniel's post, both systems have PCIe slots ... make sure you have the PCIe slots, then put the card in it ... again, it will not fill the entire slot, but will work just the same.

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello SHOWMECOMPUTERSERVICES

That card will not work in the 1800 or T300. That is a PCI express x16 2.0 or 2.1 card. You do not have an x16 slot in the 1800. You need something that is compatible with one of the slots you have:

Slots on 1800:

PCI-X ,100 MHz
PCI 32 bit, 33 MHz
PCI 64 bit, 66 MHz
PCIe x4
PCIe x8

Slots on T300:

PCI-X, 64/133
PCIe x8
PCIe x4

There is not a USB 3.0 card we have validated for the server, so even if you find one that is compatible with the slot you may still have issues getting it to function. I would suggest using this wiki article as a reference for PCI express and understanding which architecture will be compatible with your servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 16:00

T300

September 17th, 2012 17:00

Just wanted to say than you theflash, I put the card into the slot even though it didn't fill up the slot and u was right, it worked perfectly and now I have 3.0 USB on the server.

Question for you, if you was going to use one of these servers for a desktop pc would use the 1800 dual 3.6 ghz with 12 gig ram or the T300 quad core 2.66 ghz with 12 gig ram?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 20:00

I would choose the T300 ... it is newer, looks nicer :), and given that I would need better resources for virtualization on my system, the Quad-Core with VT would be a "must-have" for me.  I realize that you said you weren't getting the performance from the T300 that you wanted, so that should play into YOUR decision too - if you don't need what the T300 has and/or don't want to troubleshoot the poor performance, then go with the 1800.  :)

September 17th, 2012 21:00

You stated that you would go with the T300 with quad core with vt, what does vt mean? I know nothing about these servers..

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 22:00

VT stands for Virtualization Technology (hardware-assisted virtualization).  It is not solely a server technology - most modern processors have this technology.  This is beneficial - even required - for virtualization in today's applications.  Virtualization, to over-simplify it, is to run other "virtual" computers inside of a host computer - VT uses hardware to help optimize and improve performance of these "virtual machines".

No Events found!