Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2015 06:00

Unexpected Shutdown but a soft reboot was performed - Dell PowerEdge R720

I have a Dell PowerEdge R720 that shuts down when it is been gracefully restarted. The Display Shutdown Event Tracker is enabled and the Windows Event Viewer is showing that the server was restarted. This happens when the server is rebooted via RDP or from the console. The server time is synchronized to that of the domain.

Someone to please assist.

• 

8.4K Posts

June 1st, 2015 10:00

Sumwell,

This issue is normally seen because the Remote Registry service isn't started, which when accessing remotely, is what resets the Shutdown Event Tracker after the reboot. With Remote Registry, a registry key value tells Shutdown Event Tracker when to prompt a user for information about an unexpected restart or shutdown. Without remote registry access, Shutdown Event Tracker cannot remotely reset this registry key value after you have provided a reason. Which will cause it to show as an unexpected shutdown upon reboot. 

Verify if the service is running prior to remotely rebooting, and if so, if the issue continues..

Let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

June 1st, 2015 23:00

Hi Chris,

I checked and verified that the Remote Registry service is running and the startup type is auto. The server is now showing " CPU0000 CPU 2 internal error (IERR). Contact Support" on the LCD Panel. How best  can I deal with this? The server is currently in Production and I can not restart it.

Regards.

• 

8.4K Posts

June 4th, 2015 08:00

A CPU IERR error can be a multitude of things. It is a general error stating that "something" interrupted a cpu process. This rarely is indicating an issue with the CPU itself. What I would suggest, based on what OS installed ,  is to use OpenManage Server Administrator or Dset  on the server to see what we can find in the hardware log, as well as elsewhere on the server. If you let me know the OS I can get you the link or links needed, and we can go from there.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2015 00:00

The OS is Windows 2008 R2 - Standard Edition

November 11th, 2015 13:00

I am running VMware 6 on my server which is a Dell PE R720 ST <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

I got the pink screen of death from VMware and when i did the reboot from the console, this CPU0000 CPU2 error happened. 

No Events found!