Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2011 14:00

Update Broadcom drivers on a PE R610 W2K8 Core

Have a 2008 Windows Core server that has outdated Broadcom NIC drivers. Ran the SUU on both nodes today and was able to get everything updated except for the broadcom drivers. When I launch the package from a command line, it gives me an error indicating that it can't find a DLL file.

So I can extract the contents of the Windows package to get to the drivers. If I go that route, what's the recommended way to update Broadcom drivers on a 2008 core box? I understand the pnputil command may work.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

11 Posts

August 31st, 2011 18:00

Our 2008 servers (mixture) are fine using SUU 6.5 via Windows for the NICs.

Can u just use the old Windows Update in this case (may be simpler)?

John Bradshaw

279 Posts

August 31st, 2011 21:00

Thanks John. Are any of your servers core servers. SUU works great on our non-core servers. Having difficulty getting to Microsoft update on our core servers. We're getting ready to go live with system center which uses ways, but I'd really like to get our R610 Hyper-V cluster nodes updated to the latest Dell Broadcom drivers.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 1st, 2011 08:00

A common way to perform system updates is through the USC.  The USC is a pre OS boot environment that can be used for deploying an OS, running diagnostics, and updating the server.

Platform update can be found on page 15 of this document.

support.dell.com/.../USCUGMR.pdf

However the USC may not update the drivers for the  OS, since it is a Pre OS boot environment.

There is a way to remotely manage the Core server device manager, this may allow you to point to the INF file of the driver, for the specific device.

www.petri.co.il/remotely-manage-devices-windows-server-2008-core.htm

And yes there is the pnputil command that can be used,

pnputil -i -a

technet.microsoft.com/.../ff800798%28WS.10%29.aspx

The driver can be downloaded from :

support.dell.com/.../downloads

Or you said you already had them from the SUU. Just don’t use the RIS version.

Let us know if you were able to get it updated.

Thanks.

279 Posts

September 22nd, 2011 14:00

It didn't go well. To make a long story short, I ended up rebuilding the node as a result of attempting to update the Drivers. I did work with Dell and they'd said that you have to detach the Hyper-V vSwitch from the physical nics, or simply just delete the vSwitch on the node and re-create it when the NIC drivers are updated. He recommended the following before installing the Broadcom Drivers/BACS suite:

1. Type OCList to show all features and roles that are installed.

2. Check for the following to see if they are installed:

a. NetFx2-ServerCore

b. NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64

c. SNMP-SC

i. Only if required for SNMP requests.

3. If any of them are not installed, then type the following to install:

a. NOTE: Letter case is important!

b. ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore

c. ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64

d. ocsetup SNMP-SC

4. Navigate to the Broadcom Network driver files.

a. After extracting them, the default folder is C:\Broadcom\

b. Navigate to C:\Broadcom\Driver_Management_Apps_Installer

c. Type Setup.Exe.

d. Follow the installation wizard to complete the installation.

I installed the components above and when I upgraded after the rebuild Hyper-V wasn't even installed and the Dell Update Package failed. I suppose I could try to delete the vSwitch and install the non-SUU packaged version and hope for the best, I just don't want to have to do another rebuild.

No Events found!