Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 11th, 2015 11:00

VMware ESXi 5 migration to 5 update 3

We are looking for some assistance in upgrading a VMWare ESXi environment from version 5 to version 5 update 3. Dell T610 Servers, I checked compatibility already all appears to be good. The BIOS issue is just an example of a good check list. We do NOT have vCenter, only ESXi and vSphere.

Our staff has reviewed the Update Guides, but they provide very little information with regard to the process or check list to be performed prior to an upgrade. For example, checking compatible BIOS versions. I would like to hope that this transition is as simple as popping in a new DVD and firing off the install., but I have been in the industry too long to believe that to be the case.

If anyone has any experience on this migration, notes on do's and dont's or gotcha's, I'd live to hear about them.

thanks for any all feed back. Oh and any further links or documents would be appreciated.

• 

8.7K Posts

February 11th, 2015 12:00

In that case the easiest way to update the firmware is to reboot, press F10 during POST and go to the lifecycle controller. From there you can use the platform updates option and it will update the firmware.

• 

8.7K Posts

Hi,

What server model do you have? Updating the BIOS and firmware is recommended. There should not be any issues with updating from 5 to 5u3. It was mostly just bug fixes. https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsp_vc50_u3_rel_notes.html#compatibilityandinstallation

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc_50%2FGUID-9DB91537-4AA1-44D1-AE6F-0B5A26AC6F3C.html

10 Posts

I updated the OP with details on the servers T610s.

10 Posts

February 11th, 2015 13:00

Very true, and I was anticipating doing that, just looking for more specifics on the above mentioned upgrade.  Is there a better forum for posting VM Ware questions on Dell servers?

10 Posts

What do you mean firmware, did you mean VM ware? Or are there other BIOS updates etc?

• 

8.7K Posts

The BIOS, RAID controller, system board updates. These may not be needed but having them at the latest version is a good idea when doing the OS update.

10 Posts

Josh, I am looking for specifics on VM Ware 5 upgrade to 5 update 3. Not BIOS issues. I was only giving an example of things to check before updating VM Ware.

No Events found!