Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2014 10:00

Very slow installation Windows Server 2008 on PowerEdge R900

Hello Guys,

I have a problem with installation new system on R900. Its takes about 3-4 hours.
After installation system performance is very low.
OS is installed on RAID 1 (Perc 6/i) but by Qlogic card i have connected 100 another disks which I cane view on installation screen.

I try to install another system, but is the same. I delete RAID and then create RAID 1 - still the same.
I used SUUB, but without success.

Has anyone has simillar problem?

Before this installation ws2k8r2 Ent core was installed and everything was ok.

Thanks for help,
Martin

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 26th, 2014 22:00

Have you tried to run Windows without those fiber channel cards being connected to see if that makes a difference?

3 Posts

May 25th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the reply, Daniel.

I was installing from Virtual Media through an iDrac. Problem is with disks. When after 4 hours I was logon to system I cant explorer disk, cant check performance for disk.
I'm installing WS2k8 x64 now with GUI.

I checked Firmware version for Perc and is not actual. I'm looking for how to update from BIOS/DOS this firmware.

Martin

• 

6.2K Posts

May 25th, 2014 12:00

Hello Martin

I'm not able to provide any suggestions based on the information you have provided. Please provide more information if you would like some assistance.

You said the install takes 3-4 hours. Is this a custom DVD? Are you installing with virtual media through an iDRAC? Are you remote or local?

What is slow? Is the CPU maxed out, hard drive slow, network slow, etc? Where is it slow? What testing have you performed? What troubleshooting have you done?

You said the old OS was running fine(2008R2 core). Are you installing 2008R2 again to get a GUI, or is this 2008 32/64?

Thanks

3 Posts

May 27th, 2014 06:00

I turned off LUN for the server and everything is ok.
Thanks for help ;)

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 17:00

It still very slow with Dell R730xd, I install OS from ISO file - Virtual CD over IDRAC
I update all new firmware of Idrac and also Raid controller

It only speed < 300Kbyte/s

My line is 100Mbit LAN

(Even If it only 10Mbit LAN, speed will reach 1MByte/s, not too slow like that)

I think this is Very Basic problem, why DELL not fix it for many year to now???

I use SupperMicro many year, it very fast with IPMI Virtual CD iso file

No Events found!