Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2010 02:00

Windows 7 on a PE210

System: PE210 with 8GB and 2x500GB in RAID1 (embedded SATA software Raid)

No OS installed.

I bought a server system to have a stable 24/7 PC solution. But I don't need a real SERVER OS.

So I want to Install windows 7 (64bit) on this system and use thinstuff XP/VS terminal server to connect to it with only 3 people.

First question. Is it possible to simply install win7?

Because when I put in the CD and boot. And choose install. The system stops and asks for drivers for de DVD??

If I want to Use Dell's unified server configuration and chose the option. ANY other OS.

Then the system just crashes...

Please help me with my first steps...

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 17th, 2010 09:00

You'd almost be better off if the drives were connected to a real RAID controller, like the PERC or even the SAS 6/iR - or to have gotten a Precision Workstation, which is basically a server for client operating systems.  If you install a non-supported OS on this, it may cancel out any stability inherent in its design as a server.  Which is not to say it won't work ... First, you need to get a Windows 7 driver for the chipset, which will give Windows the know-how to communicate with all its SATA devices, including hard drives and the DVD drive.  The R210 has an Intel 3400 Chipset, and I don't see a driver on Intel's website, and there is not one for 2008 R2 on Dell's website ... this leads me to believe that the chipset driver should be native to Windows 7/2008 R2.  You might try a different drive RAID configuration - single drive, RAID 0, or no-RAID, to see if you can get it to be seen.

The USC and other installation utilities will not work, as Windows 7 is not a supported OS for this machine or for the installation utilities.

Also, if it is the DVD drive that it says it needs a driver for, then install from a USB key, but chances are that since the hard drives are connected to the same embedded controller as the DVD drive, when you bypass the DVD drive, it won't be able to find any hard drives for the same reason:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

No Events found!