Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2011 01:00

Windows SBS 2011 and T310 drivers

I'm fairly new with Dell servers. I have more experience with HP servers. HP has a management tool to gather all drivers for a specific server model and OS. I assumed Dell would have something similar, but as far as I can see, it hasn't. So I headed to the support pages, entered the servicetag of the machine and a list of downloads was presented. Most items are pretty obvious, but the section "System management" contains quite some files, a lot of them quite big too. I can download them all to see if it contains what I need, but that would take quite some time.

So what do I need? Well, SBS2011 came pre-installed - in BIOS mode. I want the server to use UEFI, which renders the existing SBS installation useless. As mentioned in another post, you can't boot with the 'Systems management' DVD when the server is set to UEFI. So I installed SBS2011 from the product dvd. Most drivers, if not all, are filled in by Windows. However, Windows drivers are mostly basic drivers and it's common to replace them with the manufacturers drivers. Do I find those drivers in one of the files listed in the section "System management"? And if so, which files do I need?

In other words, How do I update the drivers and which files do I need to do that?

BTW: SBS2011 uses Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.

Simon

802 Posts

September 27th, 2011 07:00

Simon,

We have a SUU (System Update Utility) available for download.  It does require a dual layer DVD and merging 3 different download images.  The has all the updates for all the different server models.  Here is a link to that option from our support pages.

We also have a Repository Manger utility that is available to download.  It allows you to create a custom SUU for your particular server model.  It filters out all the non-compatible updates.  You would download this utility to your workstation, then run the application to create a SUU then burn the ISO to run inside your SBS 2011 OS.  I would highly recommend reading the readme file on the process.  When you have SBS 2011 it is unique to certain driver updates.  You can call into our software group (HCMS) 1-800-822-8965 for assistance on the unique process of updating.  Here is a link to the Repository Manager.

Let us know if you have any further questions our concerns about the process.

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 27th, 2011 09:00

Follow Willy's recommendations, but just for your information, as your are new to Dell Systems Management, here are the main ones:

OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator) - this is the management software that runs in the OS, allowing you direct access to hardware logs, hardware information (including fan speeds, temperature, etc.), RAID controller and individual disks, etc.  This should be installed on any Dell system running a supported OS.

SBUU (Systems Build and Update Utility) - this is the OS installation utility that contains all the drivers and assists in setting up RAID, configuring boot partition, etc.  By itself, this is most useful when installing Server 2003, as 2008 would need an additional tool (OS Support Pack).  This can also be used when updating firmware from outside the OS - this method would also require SUU (below) to update the firmware.  This will also install the Dell Utility Partition (for integrated diagnostics).

SMTD (Systems Management Tools and Documentation) - this is an all-inclusive management utility that contains SBUU for OS installation and OMSA (to be installed with the OS), but it also includes the OS Support Pack, making this most useful when installing a 2008-family OS.  It also contains diagnostics and other management utilities.

SUU (Server Update Utility - called Dell Server Updates on the website) - this is an update repository containing the firmware updates for use with SBUU's firmware update feature.  It can also be run from within an OS to update drivers and firmware.

79 Posts

October 11th, 2011 08:00

When you have SBS 2011 it is unique to certain driver updates

Ok, what kind of drivers would that be?

Simon

No Events found!