Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2005 18:00

Windows Server 2003 SP1 on PowerEdge 2850

What are the critical updates I need for my PE2850 before I upgrade to Service pack 1.  I know the BIOS needs to be updated to A02, but after that what is critical.

Is there any way to detect and download all relevant drivers through OpenManage or Dell's website?

Thanks,

Rich

60 Posts

July 25th, 2005 00:00

Dell Power Edge Updates v.4.3 ISO, v4.3, A00
Release Date: 03/29/2005
Description: Server Update Utility (SUU) is a CD-ROM–based application for identifying and applying updates to your Dell™ PowerEdge™ system or to view the updates available for any system supported by SUU.

Download page [support.dell.com]

August 5th, 2005 16:00

I did find this for specific array controllers on some servers. It says that you need to run a RegPrepTool. I have not run this yet, but I am getting ready to do so.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=555&DN=1092292&1=en&s=biz

August 5th, 2005 16:00

When I ran the RegPrep tool on my PE 2850 it rebooted!

August 5th, 2005 17:00

I have a PERC4e/Di, which is not exactly listed.  It is the integrated RAID controller with 256MB.  That was the start of my frustrations.  I downloaded the SSU utility that sdcarroll mentioned to try and help me figure it out, but it is an .ISO file.  A CD-ROM image file that I can not make a CD out of since the software that came with my Dell burner is (I guess) a "light" version since it doesn't give me that option.

August 5th, 2005 17:00

Rebooted?! That is scary... Did your server have one of the array controllers listed?

August 8th, 2005 17:00

Well, I ran the RegTool and it seemed simple. All it did was open a CMD window and then said it completed successfully. It did NOT reboot the system. I then took that ISO and burned it to a CD. I have the Roxio CD creator that came with my Dell system and it worked? Used the CD Creator and then did File, Record CD from Image. The SUU did NOT update my Bios or Firmware from the software, but it did tell me exactly the versions to get. I downloaded them from the Dell support site and installed those updates from a floppy. After that, I used the SUU to complete the balance of the updates. As of right now, I am downloading SP1, so we will see what happens.

PS. Get that ISO to work! It is very handy and I will use it often!

August 22nd, 2005 15:00

I was able to burn the CD on my home computer.  I am going to try and do some updates today.  Any suggestions.

August 22nd, 2005 15:00

Rich,

I completed the last of the servers this weekend. Everything went pretty smooth, with only minor issues. The SUU worked great, but does take about 5 minutes to run each time. Some of the servers would not update the Bios or firmware with the utility. I would use the SUU to identify the Bios and firmware needed, then download the floppy packages from Dell's support site. After updateing those items manually, I would re-run the SUU. After that, it would complete the updates and these times varied. Most of the servers took 20 minutes to complete the install. Over all, it was a good utility and you just have to be patient when using it.

Brett
No Events found!