Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2005 15:00

Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000

If I purchase Windows Server 2003 with 5 CAL, and then SQL Server 2000 with 10 CAL, will I be able to have 10 concurrent connections to the database? I'm under the impression that the Windows Server 2003 CAL dictate access to things like file and print sharing. Also, when purchasing a PowerEdge 1800, the default SQL Server 2000 Workgroup edition has 5 CAL. I see a CAL license pack for SQL Server 2000 below for $548, but it doesn't say how many additional CAL it provides. What's the easiest way to get to 10 CAL for SQL Server 2000? Finally, can someone tell me what NFI means as is used so often in the context of OEM,NFI?

Thanks in advance,
Travis

16 Posts

November 15th, 2005 19:00

NFI = Not for Install

16 Posts

November 15th, 2005 19:00

If you have 5 CALs for Windows Server, that means 5 people can connect at the same time to share files/print at the same time. 10 CALs for SQL means 10 clients can directly connect to SQL at the same time (like using enterprise manager). If you have a web app that talks to SQL, you only need what comes with the default, cause usually its only that one web server that talks to the database.

I googled for NFI since I never heard of that term before. I doubt it stands for "No Freaking Idea" but thats all I came up with in 5 minutes.

If you have more questions, here is a good buddy of mine that is a reseller in Chicago. He has direct connections to Microsoft and will be able to get you pricing for what you need.

Ray Clark
Phone: 847-291-9090

Black Diamond Technologies-Midwest Inc.
95 Revere
Suite F
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
United States
http://www.bdtdirect.com

1 Message

December 8th, 2016 02:00

Although this post is VERY old, NFI means Not Factory Installed, which means that the server seller does not deploy the product while he sells the license.

It does NOT mean Not For Install of course...

No Events found!