Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2011 06:00

Windows Server 2008 on DELL PE 2950

Hi guys,

As you can see I'm new to this forum :)

I started this thread because someone asked me to install W2K8 on a PE 2950. I've prepared my SO Installation CD and the question comes now... Do I still need a RAID driver for this SO ? Usually, I know that when you install Win Server on a station you also need the RAID controller driver separatelly. I usually do this by downloading it from the manufacturer's site and put it on a floppy disk which can be attached via USB cable and I have no problem. This time, I've searched for the RAID driver for PE 2950 and I've found a few drivers but for Windows Server 2003 and not for 2008.

So, do I need a separated RAID driver when installing W2K8 or this one is smart enough and installs the driver by itself ?

And if I need, can I get a link here please? I've searched a lot and found nothing.

Are there any other things that I need to prepare before installing W2K8 on this machine?

Thanks a lot !

• 

8.8K Posts

December 14th, 2011 07:00

June2nd,

The reason you are not finding drivers for 2008 is because they are embedded in the OS. All you will need to do is boot the 2950 with the 2008 media and the drivers should load automatically.

Let me know how it goes.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

If you are using R2, it should have the driver already.

If it is 2008 X86 you can find drivers here.

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Applies to:

PERC 5/E Adapter

PERC 5/i Integrated

PERC 6/i Integrated

PERC 6/E Adapter

Applies to:

SAS 6/iR Integrated

Server 2008 X64 drivers can be found here.

Applies to:

PERC 5/E Adapter

PERC 5/i Integrated

PERC 6/i Integrated

PERC 6/E Adapter

Applies to:

SAS 6/iR Integrated

Here is a good walkthrough on installing 2008,

www.petri.co.il/how-to-install-windows-server-2008-step-by-step.htm

Let us know how the install goes.

Thanks.

7 Posts

Thank you sir! Friday I'll try this and give a feedback!

Have a nice day!

7 Posts

December 15th, 2011 04:00

Hi guys. Here is another question that I have.

I'm not sure if to install 2008 or 2008R2 on this machine. From what I've read, R2 comes only in x64 and it's supposed to be a lot better than 2008 or 2008 SP2. Now, the problem is that we cannot mess with the applications we use and we don't want to have any problems with them on 64-bits. Usually I know that operating systems with 64-bit architectures support software that runs on 32-bit. Did I got it wrong or I can try installing R2 without being afraid that some applications will be compromised?

Thanks again guys! : )

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 15th, 2011 08:00

32 bit software should function just fine, in most cases, especially if produced by a major company; software produced by small firms may need tweaking  . Biggest issue I have had is the directory structure/directory permissions are different from 2000/2003. You may need to modify the user permissions  (write permission) to either the directory or particular files in the folders 32 bit programs are installed to, and possibly folders the user needs to access for temp/configuration files, under the \user directory, the software producer or a google search should be able to point the way. Also you may need to modify the compatibility mode in the properties of the programs icon. Overall, even if you need to modify as above, R2 64 bit is the way to go, as you will not be limited as to memory use in the future, and R2 has a few nice features over the original 2008 64 bit release.

2 Posts

March 28th, 2013 07:00

I ran into this problem myself, and a coworker recommended
going to the download page on http://Support.dell.com.  Under “System Management,” download the Dell
Systems Build and Update Utility ISO and burn it to DVD.  This will create a hidden partition of the
drivers you’ll need to install R2.  Also
download the ISO for “Dell Windows OS Drivers Deployment” – you will need this
in the installation process.  Go from the
Dell Systems build DVD to the Dell Windows OS Drivers CD to your Windows Server
2008 R2 DVD.   Good luck -

7 Posts

June 21st, 2013 11:00

Hi there,

Just download the 2.24 version and test it on your server :)

1 Message

June 21st, 2013 11:00

Hi - sorry to barge in on a thread.

I have a 1950 with Server 2008 x64 and my Open Manage says that my 6/i driver needs to be:

Minimum Required Driver Version2.24.00.64

but is currently 2.13.

Is this true?

Jeff

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 21st, 2013 13:00

"Is this true?"

Yes ... you said it says it, right? :)

Newer versions of OMSA require a minimum driver/firmware level to function 100% as designed, AND it just a good idea to keep it up to date to prevent "preventable" issues.

I would suggest updating the BIOS and ESM/BMC, then the PERC driver (does it also show your firmware out of date?).

BIOS:

ftp.dell.com/.../PE1950_BIOS_WIN_2.7.0.EXE

ESM/BCM:

ftp.dell.com/.../1950_ESM_Firmware_XCVN0_WN32_2.50_A00.EXE

PERC Driver:

ftp.dell.com/.../SAS-RAID_Driver_M4F88_WN32_2.24.0.64_A03.EXE

PERC Firmware (if needed):

ftp.dell.com/.../SAS-RAID_Firmware_W83M2_WN32_6.3.1-0003_A14.EXE

Other devices you should look into updating:  HDD and NIC.

6 Posts

October 31st, 2013 19:00

Hello Dell Gurus and Masters can you please help me to install Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 on Dell Power Edge 2950 III (Black Face Plate not the gray as it is depicted some where  on this forum)? I have Windows2003 R2 Enterprise server running on this machine. I already moved the app out of this server so no worries of loosing data.

Current Configuration:
BIOS Version 2.5.0
Exp. RAID Controller 2 LSI Logic
PERC 5/i Integrated FW Package 5.2.1-0067
Dell Open Manager Assist 8.10
BroadCom NetXtreme II Ethernet Boot Agent 4.44

Issue: We cannot boot the machine from the USB Thumb Drive or from the DVD with 2008 ISO image. I can only boot from the original 2003 Server R2 Enterprise Edition DVD or the DELL Installer Server Management V 5.2.0 A0 CD.  I suspect the BIOS is outdated. Is that correct?

Appreciate if you can provide me detail steps if I need to update BIOS or other Controller Drivers on this to recognize the new 2008 drivers etc.

Thank you

Sansun S.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 31st, 2013 19:00

BIOS is out of date, but only by a version or two ... definitely won't make any difference for this issue.

Let me just ask ... you can boot the 2003 CD and the ISM CD, but not the 2008 DVD ... are you sure you have a DVD drive?  They were not yet "standard" when the 9G servers were shipping.

As for the USB - assuming you prepared it correctly (sorry) - make sure USB is enabled with BIOS support in the BIOS Setup (F2), then put the USB in the system and power on (or reboot) and boot to the BIOS.  There/then you should have the option to raise the priority of the USB device in the boot/HDD sequence.

6 Posts

October 31st, 2013 22:00

It is clearly printed on the fascia of the tray that it is DVD rom .

Following are the settings Inside the BIOS setup (F2) :

Boot Sequence ....................[shows only 3 options]
1.SATA CD-ROM device Port B,
2.Hard Drive C:,
3.Embedded NIC 1MBA v4.4.4 slot 0500.

Integrated Devices:
User Accessible USB Ports ..... All Ports On
Internal USB Port ..........On
Embedded GB NIC1 ....... Enabled with PXE

Any way to exchange the Embedded GB NIC1 boot option for USB Port ?

Appreciate any help..

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 1st, 2013 00:00

Did you power on WITH the USB key in a slot?  If it is not there when the system comes on, it will not be available in the boot sequence.  Do you have a HDD sequence option too?

6 Posts

November 1st, 2013 14:00

Flash1932 you may be right and I also noticed that its only recognize and boot from the USB Flash drive created with the Dell's USBKeyPrepF6

tool. Upgrading the BIOS went smooth from 2.5 to 2.6.1 and then to 2.7.0 without any glitch. Thought I have not noticed any obvious difference before

and after the BIOS flash except the version#.

What other firmware/driver upgrade I have to do to prepare this for a 2008R2 install?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 1st, 2013 14:00

System firmware should be updated together:  BIOS, then ESM/BMC, PERC, NIC, HDD, DRAC.

Also, depending on your RAID controller, you will need to configure RAID PRIOR to attempting to install Windows.

(Maybe you only used the F6KeyPrep utility as a test, but you will not need that for a 2008R2 install.)

No Events found!