Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2016 11:00

Windows Server 2012 R2 - Remote Desktop with single server

Just recently got a new PowerEdge T430 and along with it came MS Server 2012 R2. This server is going to belong to a workgroup with users remotely accessing it.

My issue at the moment is this message: you are currently logged on as local administrator on the computer you must be logged in as a domain user to manage servers and collections.

Am I missing some setting? Or is this a limitation of 2012? Will downgrading to 2008 resolve my issue?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 26th, 2016 11:00

Of course you can promote to DC. It can run a standalone domain with no machines. It just simplifies EVERYTHING, including "just" exchange/retain files, using it as a "workstation" doesn't simplify anything. You can uninstall RDS and JUST use RDP to connect to the machine using local users, but if you want to use RDS functionality, you'll need a domain environment.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 25th, 2016 12:00

Did you install RDS?

4 Posts

October 25th, 2016 19:00

Yes. I did install RDS. The service itself shows to be running, but when I go tot the overview to begin setting everything else up...I have that message.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 26th, 2016 07:00

Yeah, Active Directory is required for RDS, starting with 2012. Should be a simple thing - they need users to log in with anyway - they'll just be domain users. Users won't know the difference. THEN you might as well join the computers to the domain. Why a workstation in the first place?

4 Posts

October 26th, 2016 11:00

I can add Active Directory, but I can not promote to DC as I'm dealing with only one machine. Also, no intention of add further machines. Is it my error to set it as a Workstation? The intent of setting it as a Workstation was in part that remote users usage is primarily to exchange and retain files.

4 Posts

October 26th, 2016 22:00

Got it! It all clicked from there. My issue with promoting was my basic understanding of the Domain name vs the Netbios name

No Events found!