Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

April 6th, 2011 22:00

can't install OS linux on Dell PowerEdage R210

Dear support team,

I have problem when i try to install OS linux (Suse Linux Enterprise Server 11.0) on Dell PowerEdage R210......

When i use CD Systems Management Tools and Document and try to find OS Linux I don't see operating systeman Linux have only Windows Server

Please anyone find out for me what is the problem....????

Thank & i'm waiting your reply....

Youphak.....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 7th, 2011 07:00

There can be a few ways to install SLES 11 on the unit.  Issue generally resolves to an older copy of the SMTD installation disk that doesn’t accommodate SLES11.  With your R210, you should be able to set array up via controller if applicable, then boot to your SLES disk. 

If you prefer to use the SMTD disk route, there is an onboard component that works like the SMTD disk, and hopefully save you a download.  When the unit powers up, you will see the option for F10 - System Services.  Lists under F2-BIOS in right corner.  Once inside this module, you can select OS Deployment and progress thru the menus to do the operating system installation.

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

April 7th, 2011 14:00

One caveat to what Todd said about the F10 procedure, if you dont have the idrac express or enterprise, you will still need the SMTD or dell ftp site as a driver source, the bmc doesnt have the drivers built in. the idrac express and enterprise are optional. I am just curious, which hd controller did you order for your system from the factory?

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

April 7th, 2011 15:00

I bet you have the S300 controller? I am seeing the same issue with the R310 and an S300 controller in it. An R510 with the S300 only shows Windows and ESX as options. We are using SMTD v 6.5

7 Posts

April 10th, 2011 23:00

For my server hd controller is PERC S100 controller. it can it can use with F10 procedure or not???

please give me some idea....

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

April 11th, 2011 10:00

yes, it can do it, follow the instructions for OS deployment

7 Posts

April 17th, 2011 20:00

Yes, when i follow your instruction it can install and work properly. but it works with software RAID or only one Hard Disk (can create partition and install it).

My server has twos HDD and I want to build with RAID 1 if i do with software RAID it works but I wonder why it not work with Hardware RAID, when i start server and create RAID 1 with BIOS setup it can create RAID 1 and follow your instruction after finish installation I check on BIOS it shows both HDD (NonRaid) but my server works normally when I unplug one HDD my server can not start.

can anyone find solution for me what i need to do next to build the hardware RAID with OS linux installation.

Thank for ur help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 Posts

April 18th, 2011 19:00

I would like say thanks for your help,,,,

i find out the solution by follow your instruction now i'm using Software RAID it work properly.

I know why it not support Hardware RAID because of the controller Dell R210 is Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE KHM MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 PERC S100 RAID Controller doesn’t work with OS linux but it support only Software RAID.

many many thanks to your support..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!