Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2014 17:00

help a noob with installing os

hello i have a dell poweredge 1950 2x xeon and 4gb of ram and 1x 146gb sas 15k hdd perc 5/i raid card

i am trying to install any operating system mainly linux and all i get is this over and over:

the ext4 file system creation partition #1 of scsi6 (2,0,0) (sdc) failed‏ 

this was while trying to install debian and failing i have checked my raid settings and its is as follows:

vd 0 = 117.187 gb

free space 19392

i cant see whats wrong help please

thanks callum

thanks for the quick reply 

here is what i have put my settings as:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/BMXScotland/output_zpsjteqz7y8.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Boot to the CTRL-R utility for the controller, delete the VD (highlight controller, F2), then create a new one.  During creation of the VD, make sure to check the Advanced and Initialize boxes.  Leave all other settings as default, including using the entire amount of available space on the disk in the VD creation.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2014 18:00

Yes, that's fine (all defaults except Advanced/Initialize).

June 26th, 2014 03:00

hello sorry about the long reply

just done everything as you said but now im getting a problem when im installing Debian it does not recognise the hdd then when i go into manuel partition i can see it i tell it too allocate the partition as needed and it just ends up messing up the raid card and i have to go back and sort it and start again

thanks callum

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 26th, 2014 16:00

Linux doesn't have the ability to alter, change, delete, or create RAID on a PERC controller.  It can ONLY see/use what the controller presents to it.  I don't know much about Linux, but I suspect it is a driver issue with Debian.  What version are you trying to install?

No Events found!