Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2009 13:00

how to choose correct PCI card to upgrade USB port 1.1 to USB 2.0 for PE 1600SC

Currently my PE1600sc is using USB 1.1, and I would like to upgrade it to USB 2.0. Browsed from DELL site, and can't find one for server PE1600SC. Does someone can suggest a product for me?

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 12th, 2009 17:00

See if any of this helps-- Service Manual You can't upgrade or change your current usb, but you should be able to add a new card with 2.0 ports. Read this article Of course the usb ports are on the card, so the card needs to be accessible in the server case.

8th

4.6K Posts

January 13th, 2009 03:00

Welcome to the forums Elaine :emotion-21:

As advised above, you can install any USB 2.0 PCI card - which are widely available from any store you care to mention - i.e. Newegg... but even your local high street computer store is likely to have them in stock. 

It would be best to price a few up first though, because although they're handy... high street store prices are often quite a bit higher than the price at which you can buy the same product online - even taking delivery charges into account.

If you're liable to need easy access to USB 2.0 after you've installed the card - and hooked up any peripherals which are normally permanently attached to the system, you might want to consider buying a cheap USB hub as well?

I'd advise getting a 'powered' hub (supplied with its own AC adapter/mains plug) if you intend plugging external hard drives - or other high power draw devices, into the hub :emotion-55:

But a hub is obviously not essential, if you're unlikely to require ready access to the USB 2.0 ports again after you've installed the card, and attached any peripherals.

I just thought it worth mentioning now - as opposed to thinking about one as an after-thought :emotion-5:

4 Posts

January 13th, 2009 09:00

I saw lots of PCI card available for desktop, my concern is that if it can be used under Windows server 2003 OS.

51 Posts

January 13th, 2009 09:00

Try the Ultra USB Hub (ULT31806) and PCI (ULT31500) bundle from TigerDirect right now. It's about $35 with shipping and handling. The PCI card has 4 USB2.0 ports on the back and 2 internal ones to plug front ones into. The hub has 4 ports as well. I currently have these on my server and they work great. Cheaper ones that I've tried from EBay (about $5-$15 range) start up fine, but have always ended failing and/or have difficult time finding attached devices.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the suggestion.

One more question, PCI card is it standard for server? I mean the distance from the slots to the end cover of the server? When you add PCI card, is the back end 4 ports exactly mounted?

Thanks

51 Posts

January 13th, 2009 11:00

I have IBM servers. However, from the specs on yours, it should work fine in slot 5 and 6, but not in the other 4 slots.

No Events found!