Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2004 20:00

installing win xp on pe sc400

I just received my power edge 400sc and was going to install xp pro, when I got to the partition screen during setup, I saw a fat partition that was about 35mb in size. My question is do dell hold bios information on the hard drive? If not is it ok for me to delete this partition

thanks in advance

February 25th, 2004 21:00

Hi,

The 35MB partition you are seeing is called the Utility Partition, and is normally present on most PowerEdge systems that ship with a factory-installed operating system.  The Utility Partition is not necessary for proper operation of your server, but simply provides a more convenient location from which to run the same diagnostics utilities that are available for download from http://support.dell.com.  During system boot, you should receive a prompt to press F2 to enter setup or to press F10 to boot to the Utility Partition if that partition is still physically present.

Removing the Utility Partition will again not affect the operation of your system; Please keep in mind that, in order to remove the first partition from a hard disk, it would be necessary to first remove any succeeding partitions.

No Events found!