Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

3 Posts

May 24th, 2020 22:00

iperf slow loopback

Hi! I've got Power Edge R720xd with two Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 v2 @ 2.50GHz and 4x DDR3 8gb of RAM, totaly 32gb. 2012 windows server. The problem is in very slow loopback speed. I tested with iperf3 and speed is about 1Gbits/s. In other servers in network speed is about 4-6 Gbites/s.

Can anyone test loopback speed on R720xd with same CPU?

• 

790 Posts

May 25th, 2020 06:00

Hi Zigotha,

first of all, I'm not that good in networking stuff ^^ So maybe anyone else might step in, but from what I see it's the network speed depend on a couple of facts. And it is always hard to tell what exactly is the issue.

You compare with "other" servers - are they the same build? 

You may encounter differences with different network cards and different operating systems.

Are all systems connected to the same switch?
Are the firewall settings correct or is it blocking some traffic?

If you have the exact same build but still differences in the speed, it could be that the NIC is the causing part and might be replaced.

Best regards,
Stefan

3 Posts

May 28th, 2020 04:00

Hi, Stefan!

loopback trafic never hits physical network. it is all about hardware perfomance as i know.

i mean iperf -c 127.0.0.1

• 

790 Posts

May 29th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

thanks for clarification

You mentioned other servers with higher traffic, are those also R720xd and do they have the same hard ware config?

If yes, are you able to perform a cross test with the NIC?

Have you checked if there is a firmware update available for this NIC, maybe an update will solve it.

Thanks

Stefan

3 Posts

May 29th, 2020 06:00

Hello, Stephan! Other servers are R720\R720xd to, but they has higher perfomance. And
iperf between servers is about 5 gbit/sec. the problem is only in loopback perfomance of
one server. Thats why i asked someone here - in dell community - to check iperf -c
127.0.0.1 on servers with same cpu's / ram

• 

790 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 01:00

Hi Zigotha,

well, as mentioned, I'm not a big help when it comes to networking stuff.

I hope that someone in the community with such a configuration is able to answer right soon.

Cheers
Stefan

No Events found!