Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

July 17th, 2004 16:00

lsass.exe error!! window restarts!! cant log in

I have just received the Poweredge 700 and when i go to start the server this error pops up..

lsass.exe saying, "When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct."

Any help would be much appreciated..

Thanks..

July 18th, 2004 09:00

Your computer is infected with Sasser worm. To remove it, first disconnect the network cable so other computers are not infected. Also, you will notice that it will not restart once it's not on a network. Once the infected system is isolated, download and burn following updates on a CD to install it on the server:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

Additionally, I recommend running Sasser Removal Tool (available through the link below) on ALL of your computers in your LAN because apparantly you got this worm either from the Internet or from your local area network:

Sasser (A-F) Worm Removal Tool (KB841720) from Microsoft's website:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=76C6DE7E-1B6B-4FC3-90D4-9FA42D14CC17&displaylang=en

Message Edited by Dell-Tariq S on 07-18-2004 05:43 AM

July 18th, 2004 10:00

Please visit the following Microsoft website and install all Security Updates posted after September 2003. This includes the Blaster worm patch.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/default.mspx

In your next post, please include more details. If you are getting a dialog box that looks like one below, your system is infected with Blaster worm.

It is also possible that your system is infected with multiple worms. Please provide details such as how soon does it restart, does it also restart when with it's not connected to a network, etc.

3 Posts

July 18th, 2004 10:00

Thanks for the reply,

I tried the removal tool and the updates and still the same problem..

The removal tool did not find anything!!

What should I  do next??

July 18th, 2004 11:00

Your issue maybe one that is discussed on this Microsoft KB. Though the KB article states that it applies only to Windows XP; generally, XP and 2003 are very similar on the inside.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 316134:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316134

3 Posts

July 19th, 2004 20:00

Hi Thanks for the speedy reply..

I tried the update but no joy. I was only on the net for a very short time so I don’t think it’s a virus..

This is what happened!!!

I received my Poweredge 700 server from Dell on Friday. I did the Microsoft updates and set up a domain that is all I did.

I then moved the Server to an Office with no Internet access on Saturday.

When I turned on the server on Saturday before the log in screen the server hangs on the screen saying applying computer settings!!!! It stayed on this screen for 2hrs.

I retasterd and it hung again for 3hrs.

I then restarted in safe mode and selected the last know good configuration..

That is were I am today the lsass.exe Error!!!

System error lsass.exe:

When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

July 20th, 2004 03:00

As I mentioned in my last post (right before this one), you will have to reinstall Windows. Since you are just setting up this system out-of-the-box, you won't lose any data because you don't have any on this particular server. Please use the OpenManage System Assistant CD to install Windows 2003. This was a problem identified by Microsoft in their products in the Microsoft KB article that I posted in this thread.

3 Posts

August 18th, 2011 12:00

Hello, I know this is an older post, Is there any way to not have to reinstall?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 18th, 2011 12:00

Assuming you are also using XP, you can try to repair Windows.  If you cannot repair it using Recovery Console by booting to an XP (or 2003) CD, then your only option is to reinstall.  You can, however, "rescue" your personal data from the drive before reinstalling ... if you don't have a real backup of your data.

No Events found!