Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2011 14:00

omreport unable to see storage controller on dell r410

Hopefully someone has the same environment as I do.  I am running debian Squeeze using a bleeding edge kernel 3.1.0 on a dell r410 and apparently omreport cannot locate the storage controller. The following is my environment:

Linux newkerneltest 3.1.0-rc7-hw+ #41 SMP Thu Sep 22 18:39:02 CDT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

debian version: 6.0.2

./srvadmin-services.sh status
dell_rbu (module) is running
ipmi driver is running
dsm_sa_datamgrd (pid 6253) is running
dsm_sa_eventmgrd (pid 6463) is running
dsm_sa_snmpd (pid 6527) is running

dpkg -l | grep srvadmin
ii  srvadmin-base                       6.5.0-1                      Meta package for installing the Server Agent
ii  srvadmin-deng                       6.5.0-1                      Dell OpenManage Data Engine
ii  srvadmin-hapi                       6.5.0-1                      Dell OpenManage Hardware Abstraction Programming Interface
ii  srvadmin-isvc                       6.5.0-1                      Dell OpenManage Instrumentation Services
ii  srvadmin-omacore                    6.5.0-1                      Server Administrator Core and CLI
ii  srvadmin-omcommon                   6.5.0-1                      Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Common Framework
ii  srvadmin-omilcore                   6.5.0-1                      Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Install Core
ii  srvadmin-smcommon                   6.5.0-1                      Storage Management common files for GUI and CLI
ii  srvadmin-storage                    6.5.0-1                      Storage Management accessors package
ii  srvadmin-storageservices            6.5.0-1                      Meta package for installing the Server Administrator Storage Services feature
ii  srvadmin-storelib                   6.5.0-1                      StoreLib package for storage management
ii  srvadmin-storelib-sysfs             6.5.0-1                      System Utilities Package/Libsysfs for LSI storage libraries
ii  srvadmin-sysfsutils                 6.5.0-1                      Storage Management System Utilities Package / Libsysfs
ii  srvadmin-xmlsup                     6.5.0-1                      Dell OpenManage XML Support SDK

Viewing chassis info works but not storage info:

./omreport chassis
Health

Main System Chassis

SEVERITY : COMPONENT
Ok       : Fans
Ok       : Intrusion
Ok       : Memory
Ok       : Power Supplies
Ok       : Power Management
Ok       : Processors
Ok       : Temperatures
Ok       : Voltages
Ok       : Hardware Log
Ok       : Batteries

./omreport storage controller
No controllers found

Anyone using a bleeding edge kernel like above?  The latest kernel this was working on is 2.6.38

5 Posts

September 28th, 2011 07:00

Forgot to add the following:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 32 Lun: 00

Vendor: DP       Model: BACKPLANE        Rev: 1.07

Type:   Enclosure                        ANSI  SCSI revision: 05

Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: DELL     Model: PERC 6/i Adapter Rev: 1.22

Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 05

Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: TEAC     Model: DVD-ROM DV-28SW  Rev: R.2A

Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI  SCSI revision: 05

5 Posts

October 6th, 2011 08:00

None so far.  I too installed the latest dataeng and tried on a dell r410 and r710 and just for kicks tried a dell 2950 and same thing.  Looks like according to mknod, the position of ipmi is in a different place on the new kernel.  So far, since this kernel is too bleeding edge, no one has even attempted to install dellomsa.

1 Message

October 6th, 2011 08:00

Have you found a workaround for this?  Even the newest dataeng will not work :/

4 Posts

February 10th, 2012 06:00

This is getting rather ridiculous that OpenManage hasn't been updated for v3 kernels. They have been out for a while now. Come on, Dell.

5 Posts

February 10th, 2012 07:00

Their is a workaround that will get openmanage to start properly.  Essentially, just install uname26 (package that masks the 3.X kernel to look like 2.6.X) and hack away at the openmanage init script so that it looks at uname26 binary instead of uname.  I have it working on 3.X kernels now. 

Unfortunately, dell really only supports RHEL but even then supporting a 3.X kernel should be in their best interest.  My guess is most enterprise used Linux distro's are not releasing 3.X kernels into the mainstream just yet.

4 Posts

February 10th, 2012 08:00

Where do you get uname26 package? apt-cache search isn't showing it, nor is packages.debian.org. Thanks.

4 Posts

I got it and compiled it, but I honestly do not understand what I'm supposed to do to use it or how to modify the init scripts. Can you give me an example of what you did in your init scripts?

5 Posts

it doesn't exist, I had to build it as a deb package manually and add it to our internal repo.  but you can go to the following URL and compile it from source:

mirror.linux.org.au/.../uname26

With the files from the URL listed above you can build your own deb or rpm package if you need to add this to your own repo's.

4 Posts

February 10th, 2012 15:00

To anyone else having this same problem, here is the post telling you exactly what to do:

lists.us.dell.com/.../045543.html

Thanks to all.

No Events found!