Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2013 06:00

poweredge t110 ii , ubuntu

the story began when i delivered the server contained a previous installed windows server 2008 sp2 
then i reboot from the dell cd after choosing windows small business essential . 
after installation , reboot and open from hard  ,windows loaded and ask for put cd of the windows essential where it wasn't available so i reboot again
but this time from ubuntu server cd

after installing the server and reboot the server it didn't see ubuntu and load windows files again then ask for the windows cd again 
(dell cd contain in configurations only windows servers not linux , it is applicable to install linux or not ?? )
(i tried to install windows server 2008 sp2 again from dell cd but i couldnt because it needs cd for that in the same time the dell cd inside! )

i am beginner in dealing with servers so i need to know if there is a risk from that ? and where is ubuntu now ? any suggestions ??

thanks 

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

February 4th, 2013 07:00

I am guesing here, but I would think that Ubuntu installed itself to a different partition and it left the Windows partition there. Do you need to keep the Windows installation? Do you have an idrac express or enterprise or neither? how are your drives partitioned?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 4th, 2013 08:00

The installation utility simply "preps" the OS install, by preloading drivers, creating boot partitions, configuring RAID, installing the utility (diagnostics) partition, etc.  After running through the setup questions, it will prompt you for the Windows disc at some point - when it's ready for it.

If you don't need Windows, then you need to delete the existing partitions when installing Ubuntu.  Are you trying to dual-boot??

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Do not install to the same partition as Windows - DELETE the Windows partitions (delete ALL disk partitions).  There should be an option to "erase disk and install Ubuntu" which will erase all disk partitioning and formatting and install default Ubuntu on EXT4 partitions (or you can use the advanced options to erase and set partitions to your liking or specific needs).

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

No, the installation utility does not assist in Ubuntu installations, so you will need to install directly from the Ubuntu CD/USB.

Using the Dell installation disc, you boot to it first, select your OS, then insert the media when prompted.  You don't have to use the installation disc for any OS install, but it can simplify it for supported OS's (not Ubuntu).

5 Posts

ok thanks

but i still dont understand where is ubuntu now ?

i already install from ubuntu then reboot but it load windows , although i install ubuntu

it means i didint install ubuntu well ??

( i want to know the role of installation utility in os install ? how assist ?? if it will ask again for windows essential cd what it already made ? )

5 Posts

OK Thanks

5 Posts

we don't need to keep windows installation we need Ubuntu , i don't have any info about the previous state of the server.

In the Ubuntu installation it is possible to force Ubuntu to remove windows installation , overwrite it ?? by choosing the same partition of the windows installation ?? that is what you mean ??

No Events found!