Ein neues Gespräch starten

Ungelöst

Dieser Beitrag ist älter als 5 Jahre

February 9th, 2016 03:00

[Closed] PowerEdge T410: Increase store capacity of a RAID5

Hello,

I wonder if it's possible to increase the store capacity of a RAID5.

We do run a RAID5 with three HDDs (each 500GB and same make/model) in our PowerEdge T410 at the moment and get a usable capacity of 1TB (930GB in fact).

Now I would love to upgrade this to 2TB usable capacity and wonder if it's possible to just replace one HDD by a 1TB HDD at first. Wait until it's synchronized. Then replace the next one. Wait. Next one.

Am I right assuming this is going to work or is there anything I should take care of?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best Regards

Sebastian

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Nachrichten

February 9th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

There is a way of reconfiguring a RAID, as long as you use one of the controller named in this article Reconfiguration Of Virtual Disks on the PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) H310, H710, H710P, and H810. This may help you solve your request.

Be aware that we do not offer free support to systems without warranty. So if you need support, you're asked to pay the support-fee. I recommend you to read the article carefully, it should help you.

May I ask you to send me the ServiceTag of your system via private message, please?

Kind regards,
Stefan

5 Nachrichten

February 9th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

thanks for your response.

I have a couple of questions left. I hope you don't mind. :-)

1) According to the table on your link I will have to add an extra HDD in order to increase capacity. Why's that? Can't I just take three 1TB HDDs instead of three 500GB HDDs as we do run them right now?

2) What's the correct order of operation? First replacing the HDDs as I wrote in my initial post (or put a fourth one in instead of replacing the other ones by bigger ones) and THEN reconfiguring the RAID?

3) Can I do the reconfiguration via OMSA or do I need to do that in the RAID / BIOS area?

Thank you very much!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Nachrichten

February 10th, 2016 02:00

Hey aceint,

it works like taht: You take out one 500GB driv and replace it by one 1TB drive, then start the rebuild. After completition you take out the next 500GB drive and replace by the 1TB one, start rebuilding until it's finished. And the third one like before. The last step is then to expand the raid to the blank space using OMSA.

We tested this today in our lab and I can say it works :)

Best regards,
Stefan

5 Nachrichten

February 15th, 2016 08:00

Thanks a lot!

That's just as I thought. :-)

At least the replace-rebuild-step. 

Would you mind concretizing the last step for me? I am not really sure what to do as I have never seen any configuration options in OMSA but only monitoring functions. 

Thank you very much in advance!

Best Regards

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Nachrichten

February 18th, 2016 02:00

Hi aceint,

well the last step is then the reconfiguration via OMSA. In this step you can create a additional VD with the new space or expand the space. All via OMSA.

In any case, please, do a backup. I can not guarantee you that all the data stays on the drive (it will, but I can not guarantee).

Kind regards,
Stefan

5 Nachrichten

February 18th, 2016 03:00

Hello there,

I see. Thank you very much.

I just wondered if there is any kind of tutorial / documentation that shows the required steps to perform in OMSA.

Thank you very much!

BR

Keine Veranstaltungen gefunden!