Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2009 19:00

Can you install 32 bit Powerpath on a 64 bit Windows?

Just exploring the possibility.  I'm currently running Windows x64 with Powerpath (Booting from SAN) - - - - Long story short this is my VCB proxy server and I can't get any VCB backups to work.  We keep getting "unable to access disk" errors.  Backup Software Vendor is stating this is definitely a VMWare issue.  VMWare claims the Proxy server doesn't have access to the ESX Datastores which it does.

Apparently, x64 bit versions of Powerpath are not supported.  Meaning, I would have to make sure all ESX Datastores are own by the same processor and make sure I "zone" one HBA to a processor port on the Clariion owning the LUNs.  This is not going to happen since we have 33 ESX Datastores.

My question is as crazy as it may sound, Can we install x32 Powerpath on x64 bit OS?

Thanks,

Damian Tapia

2.2K Posts

While you can install generic 32bit apps on 64bit Windows and they run in x86 emulation mode, I highly doubt that you could successfully install 32bit PowerPath on an x64 server. The reason is that PowerPath operates at a device driver layer and that is a 64bit layer on x64 Windows.

Do you have a server you could test this on? I assume I am right but it sure would be interesting if I was wrong

40 Posts

Thank you for the input I might be able to test this in our Virtual Environment.  I also believe this will fail since Powerpath is installed in the I/O stack.

Thanks Again,

Damian tapia

86 Posts

November 18th, 2009 20:00

This is not supported.  Please only install the 32 bit version of PowerPath on Windows x86, and the x64 version of PowerPath on Windows x64.

Regards Michel.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 9th, 2010 01:00

Hi all

IHAC that has the same issue: he would like to implement VmWare on a Windows 2008 x64 server. However, VCB doesn't support 64 bits version of Powerpath, as stated here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1007479

What solution can I give to my customer? Install an old, 32-bit flavour of Windows?

Thank you,

Thomas

154 Posts

July 9th, 2010 06:00

Hi Thomas.  Unfortunately, we do not have a solution for VCB support at this time.  From my last communication with VMware on this topic, there are no plans to support 64-bit with VCB proxy.  Also, it is my understanding that VCB 1.5 is the last release of this product and is been replaced by VMware Data Recovery and vStorage API for Data Protection.  Is your customer planning to use either of these?

Thanks, Brion

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 9th, 2010 08:00

Thank you, Brion, for your quick and nice answer!

I will discuss then with the customer about this fact, and the alternatives you proposed.

Thanks,

Thomasa

No Events found!