Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2013 10:00

How to migrate QUORUM disk in W2K3 cluster?

Hi All,Iam planning to migrate CX-3 TO VNX using PPME in W2K3 cluster . Is there any procedure to Migrate Quorum Disk?

89 Posts

February 27th, 2013 10:00

Dynamox is correct.  The quorum is not eligible for a PPME migration.  You need to replace the quorum with a disk on the new array. 

February 27th, 2013 11:00

1. Start Cluster Administrator (CluAdmin.exe).
  2. Right-click the cluster name in the upper-left corner, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Quorum tab.
  4. In the Quorum resource box, click a different disk resource.
  5. If the disk has more than one partition, click the partition where you want the cluster-specific data to be kept, and then click OK.          This is the procedure for W2K3 Cluster?

89 Posts

February 27th, 2013 11:00

Yes.You can check emc268683 for links to both 2003 and 2008 clusters.

February 27th, 2013 12:00

Tnx .. I need to do any changes  on the server side after change the Quorum Disk ? I can Place a New Quorum Disk from TGT Array Before Start the PPME Migration ?

Tnx .. I need to do any changes  on the server side after change the Quorum Disk ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

nope, you will need to remove that LUN form CX3 side and clean up PowerPath (powemt check)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

you can do quorum change anytime

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 27th, 2013 13:00

1) present  quorum drive to both nodes and perform the procedure to swap the quorum (both nodes were online)

2) move all resources to one node and shutdown the other one(s)

3) start PPME procedures to migrate the other data drives.

4) once PPME handles are deleted, remove CX3 storage, clean PowerPath and bring other nodes online (make sure they can see VNX storage)

February 27th, 2013 13:00

1) Shut down the Passive node 2) Allocate Tgt luns (VNX) 3) Place the New TGT (VNX) Quorum Disk 4) Start the Migration For all Data Luns 5) Complete Sync 6) Cleanup all old Luns  , here I can take out OLD QUORUM (CX-3)  7) Take out all dead paths in PP 8) bring up the Passive node 9) Failover , Failback For check Cluster Health .............All the Above steps looks good need Any changes Dynamox?

86 Posts

February 27th, 2013 16:00

Hi Kally, I don't believe that will work. You won't be able to move the quorum to the other node when the passive node is down.

I would recommend that you allocate the new quorum device to all nodes in the cluster. Perform your quorum change using Cluster Administrator, and then shutdown the other hosts in the cluster.

Then you should be free to perform your PPME steps above.

Added step, delete any powermt.custom file from C:\Program Files\EMC\Powercommon\    OR once you have cleared the dead paths save the configuration again. Otherwise the old dead paths may be reloaded on next boot.

Regards, Michel.

February 28th, 2013 08:00

Tnx a lot ..  1) present  quorum drive to both nodes and perform the procedure to swap the quorum (both nodes were online)  ...  Here I can Allocate only New Quorum ? or Other Data Tgt luns Allocation is fine?  if Server sees both CX-3 and VNX luns is Fine ?

February 28th, 2013 08:00

Thanks a lot Dynamox..

1) present  quorum drive to both nodes and perform the procedure to swap the quorum (both nodes were online) ..

This step I can allocate other Data Luns from VNX ?or Just New Quorum ? During both node online it sees All CX-3 and VNX luns on the server Its Fine?  or Allocate Data Luns (VNX) After Shut down the passive node ?

2) move all resources to one node and shutdown the other one(s)

3) start PPME procedures to migrate the other data drives.

4) once PPME handles are deleted, remove CX3 storage, clean PowerPath and bring other nodes online (make sure they can see VNX storage)

February 28th, 2013 10:00

I can Allocate other Tgt Data Luns along with QUORUM ? is that fine if server Sees Both CX -3 AND VNX luns before shutdown the passive node ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 28th, 2013 10:00

ok, just don't write signature to them and format them.

No Events found!