Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2016 03:00

PowerPath Migrator unable to migrate Windows Cluster drives

A few years ago, I migrated a few Windows 2003 Server servers which were SQL clusters from our CX3 to our new VNX5300 using the following commands:

#setup the copy session and record the handle

powermig setup -src harddisk24 -tgt harddisk26 -techtype hostcopy

And it just worked.

Now, we are migrating a different set of Windows 2003 Server servers from the VNX SAN to our new UNITY SAN, and I tried the above command and surprisingly I get the following error:

C:\user>powermig setup -src harddisk1 -tgt harddisk4 -techtype hostcopy

Setup migration? [yes]/no: yes

PPME error(90): Source is a cluster disk (use -cluster to setup a cluster migration)

C:\user>

Where did this come from???

All I can think of is that the newer version of PowerPath 5.7 SP4 now needs to use cluster resources in order to migrate LUNs....is this correct?

If so then because the servers are Windows 2003 Server, I cannot start the migration until I take the disk resources offline so that PPMig can configure the dependencies, and only then I can start the migration and then I'll need another outage when I switch the disks around?

27 Posts

November 10th, 2016 07:00

Starting with PP 5.7 the migration method in a Windows Cluster changed. Instead of shutting down all but one node, now you have to keep them online. PPME would create a resource that would be attached to the physical cluster disk. This is only supported on 2008 and newer clusters.

However, because your setup is a 2003 cluster, you need force PPME to ignore the cluster setup. Basically, you are maintaining the same procedure as before (setup, sync, selecttarget, commit, and cleanup) and the only difference is adding -force in the setup command.

Please refer to page 43 and 44 for migrating in a 2003 cluster setup in the PPME User Guide.

https://support.emc.com/docu42961_PowerPath-Migration-Enabler-5.7-User-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Just as FYI, 2003 cluster do NOT support live dependency addition to an online resource. This is one of the reason 2003 is NOT supported using the PPME resource command (powermigcl).

Hope this helps.

No Events found!