Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 26th, 2013 09:00

PowerPath/VE 5.9 reporting it's not working, but is it?

I've got a vCenter 5.5 build 1378903 install and a host I just upgraded to 5.5 build 1331820.  I did the upgrade by putting it in maintenance mode, detaching my PowerPath/VE 5.8 extension group from the host, attaching my new PowerPath/VE 5.9 group to the host, disabled lockdown, applied all outstanding ESXi 5.1 patches and reboot, applied the PowerPath/VE 5.9 patches and reboot.  I used 'rpowermt check_registration' to verify it was okay and it seems to think it is.

However, having not taken it out of maintenance mode yet for fear something is wrong, I checked the EMC VSI tab in my vSphere Client and it reports this at the top of the screen in a bright color:

The PowerPath/VE service is not managing any LUNs on this host.

If I use 'rpowermt host=192.0.2.1 display dev=all' it seems to think things are working:

Pseudo name=emcpower1

VNX ID=1234 [LUN1]

Standard UID=naa.1234 [BLOCK_LUN_20]

state=alive; policy=CLAROpt; queued-IOs=0

Owner: default=SP A, current=SP A       Array failover mode: 4

==============================================================================

--------------- Host ---------------   - Stor -  -- I/O Path --   -- Stats ---

###  HW Path               I/O Paths    Interf.  Mode     State   Q-IOs Errors

==============================================================================

1 vmhba32                C1:T6:L0    SP B4    active   alive      0      0

1 vmhba32                C0:T7:L0    SP B5    active   alive      0      0

1 vmhba32                C1:T4:L0    SP A4    active   alive      0      0

1 vmhba32                C0:T5:L0    SP A5    active   alive      0      0

I would assume the output would have been empty if PowerPath was not actually managing I/O to that LUN?

On the Configuration tab, Storage, 'Devices' button, pick one; in the lower window "Device Details" it shows owner as PowerPath.

My other PowerPath/VE 5.8 hosts on the EMC VSI tab continue to state "Found PowerPath/VE version 5.8 (build342) installed on this ESX host..."

I dont want to take it out of maintenance mode and risk live guests moving back to it if something is actually wrong with PowerPath.  Anything else I can check?

88 Posts

November 26th, 2013 10:00

Hi - please go ahead and open a Service Request (SR). It may be an issue with the VSI plug-in,

Bob Lonadier

PowerPath Product Manager

43 Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

Thanks; support got it figured out.  Still had RTOOLS 5.8 installed, after updating to 5.9 now it reports "Found PowerPath/VE (build 160) installed on this ESX host"

December 6th, 2013 04:00

Hi, I have some issue with the PowerPath 5.9, not being visible in my VSI. I installed EMC VSI on my vcenter server.

I am able to discover my VNX, and able to see the details properly. When i open the EMC VSI tab, i see the PowerPath 5.9 message in green higlighted. As soon as i click any host or VM, the message changes to PowerPath 5.9 is unlicensed. It should not show that, as we have it licensed. Is there something i need to install or do. We do not have RTOOLS installed does this matters? Please suggest...

December 6th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

Yes, you need to have RTOOLS installed. From the VSI Path Management Version 5.5 Product Guide:

For the Path Management feature to work with PowerPath/VE, the PowerPath/VE Remote Tools must be installed on the client where VSI is running. The Path Management feature requires RTOOLS version 5.7.b173 or later.

Regards

Javier Soriano

PowerPath Corporate Systems Engineer

December 8th, 2013 22:00

Thanks alot for your response... One last thing can you please help me out with.

Where can i download this tool from? Is it available on powerlink or VMWare site or in some of the DVD with powerpath....

Thanks in advance...

December 9th, 2013 07:00

You can go to support.emc.com to download it.

Regards

No Events found!