Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 30th, 2008 20:00

Powerpath licensing question

Hi Guys,

I would like to clarify a few things about Powerpath here if possible.

a) If I have an application running on 4 way server and I plan to migrate to 16 way server, could I transfer the powerpath license from existing 4 way server to that 16 way server? Is that possible? In other word, can I upgrade my powerpath departmental license to enterprise global license?

b) If the things mentioned above are possible, may I know what the product number is, if the operating system concerned is Sun Solaris 10?

c) Is it possible to have failover capabilities without installing powerpath, because I'm using a windows server 2003 attached to cx3-20f, could i just install MPIO instead of powerpath? Is MPIO compatible with cx3-20f?

Regards

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 30th, 2008 20:00

c)

i ran your config through E-lab navigator and it does not look like windows 2003 MPIO is supported for FC connectivity, it is supported for iSCSI. Now windows 2008 MPIO is supported but it only provides failover capability

October 31st, 2008 00:00

Hi,

I did my on research and discovered this part number PP-DP-EN-U, is this the correct part number to upgrade from powerpath department to powerpath enterprise?

What if my server have more than 16 processors, is there any specific part number to upgrade from department to powerpath global?

Regards

2.2K Posts

October 31st, 2008 08:00

That would be more of a sales rep question. They have all the SKUs and licensing models. Have you asked this of your local sales rep?

October 31st, 2008 10:00

I find it easier and faster to ask question in this forum rather than waiting for the sales rep feedback

2.2K Posts

October 31st, 2008 10:00

Understood :D ... the forums can be even quicker than support for some issues.

... but powerpath licensing is confusing enough that you will get a more accurate answer from an actual sales rep than some fellow SAN admins on the forums.

2.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2008 08:00

Unless they have changed it, the highest level of licensing they offer is for 8 or more CPU cores. It won't matter if you have 8, 16, or 128 (*lol*)... It will still be an enterprise license.

November 6th, 2008 22:00

There are some difference between powerpath licensing for windows and unix. In windows the highest tier is enterprise while for unix the highest tier is global. So basically PP enterprise unix is limited to 15 processors only, if you have more than 15, you have to acquire PP Global tier for Unix.

2.1K Posts

November 7th, 2008 08:00

Thanks for the update on that. I wasn't aware of the additional level on Unix (we have more Windows than Unix). I probably would have found out soon enough, but the first 16 way Unix servers aren't due to come in until early next year.

September 21st, 2012 04:00

Hello - can I make a more basic question and ask what is the basis of Powerpath licensing.  It appears to be CPU socket in some discussion document and Cores or CPUs (depending upon how you look at processor packages these days) in others.  Obviously, the answer will produce quite a difference to compliance status.

December 1st, 2012 07:00

Based on physical processor

No Events found!