Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2009 08:00

Powerpath vs PowerParh /VE

Hi There,

I'm currenlty replacing 2x W2K3 server with 2 x W2K8 Hyper-V servers,
can someone explain me what is the difference between Powerpath and Powerpath /VE ?
Do i need to pay new PowerPath license for Hyper-V ?

Thnak you for help,

341 Posts

July 29th, 2009 11:00

Hi Damo,

PowerPath VE is the version of PowerPath that only runs on the the V-Sphere systems (VMware ESX4.0)

There is no specific version of PowerPath for Hyper-V systems that I am aware of.

Conor

86 Posts

July 29th, 2009 19:00

That's not actually true.

There is PowerPath/VE 5.4 for VMWare ESX 4.0
and
PowerPath/VE 5.3 for Windows Hyper-V

Please read the release notes available on Powerlink for more info...

PowerPath Version 5.3 for Windows includes support for virtual environments through a new PowerPath/VE for Windows Hyper-V license key. The new key is required to license PowerPath 5.3 in Windows Hyper-V environments. PowerPath/VE for Windows Hyper-V provides the same multipathing functionality as PowerPath for Windows in nonvirtual environments, and it supports Migration
Enabler and PowerPath Encryption with RSA.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 30th, 2009 06:00

Mich,

i currently have a customer who is using Hyper-V and PowerPath 5.2 SP1. So what changes with PP 5.3 ? Do i have to use PP/VE for Hyper-V (and buy additional license) or can i continue using regular PowerPath for Windows 2008 ? PP/VE does not get loaded in VMs does it ? What benefits do i get from using PP/VE versus regular PP.

Thank you

341 Posts

July 30th, 2009 07:00

Sorry I'm not up to speed on the Windows side of things, learn something new every day!

That's not actually true.

There is PowerPath/VE 5.4 for VMWare ESX 4.0
and
PowerPath/VE 5.3 for Windows Hyper-V

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 30th, 2009 07:00

We all do ;)

86 Posts

July 30th, 2009 22:00

So what changes with PP 5.3 ?
Officiall qualified support for Hyper-V.

Do i have to use PP/VE for Hyper-V (and buy additional license) or can i continue using regular PowerPath for Windows 2008? Up to you, I don't know of any issues with this version and Hyper-V.

PP/VE does not get loaded in VMs does it ?
No. The only time I see PP in a VM is when using iSCSI and connecting directly across the network to the VM.

What benefits do i get from using PP/VE versus regular PP.
Qualified support. New features with 5.3, see release notes.
New licesing method...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 11th, 2009 13:00

Hi Damo,

PowerPath VE is the product name used for PowerPath in Virtual Environment (VMWare vSphere and MS Hyper-V)
PowerPath 5.3 Windows is version of PowerPath that should be used for MS Hyper-V (PowerPath 5.2 Windows which also supports Windows 2008 might work but was never qualified for MS Hyper-V)
Please note that you need to purchase a separate license to use PowerPath in a Hyper-V environment (PowerPath-VE for Hyper-V)
I hope this helps,
Meir

Meir Yehezkel
PowerPath Product Manager

54 Posts

August 9th, 2010 23:00

If you are running PowerPath in a client OS then you require the ordinary PowerPath License - if you are running PowerPath on the physical then you require a PowerPath / VE license - note this should be applied to PowerPath 5.3 for Windows on the physical.

154 Posts

August 10th, 2010 05:00

Hi.  There is a limited use case with qualified versions of PowerPath to be used in a VM.  Please refer to page 318 of the attached link to the PowerPath ESM tables.

https://elabnavigator.emc.com/emcpubs/elab/esm/pdf/EMC_PowerPath.pdf

For vSphere, there is only PowerPath/VE.

For Windows, there is PowerPath and PowerPath/VE.  PowerPath/VE is installed only on the hypervisor when Hyper-V is enabled on W2K8.  If iSCSI support on the VM with direct mapping is needed with current versions of PowerPath (not VE), please submit an RPQ.

I hope this helps.  If not, please let me know.

Thanks, Brion

73 Posts

February 6th, 2012 14:00

Hi all , thats mean that PP/VE is the only supported version for Hyper-V hosts ? The normal one is not qualified ?

154 Posts

February 7th, 2012 10:00

Hi.  For licensing purposes, PowerPath/VE for Hyper-V must be installed on a W2K8 server when the Hyper-V role is enabled.  If Hyper-V is not enabled, you may install PowerPath for Windows.  I hope this helps.

Thanks, Brion

73 Posts

February 7th, 2012 23:00

Thnx Brion, so the normal PP is not supported on Hyper V ?

154 Posts

February 8th, 2012 07:00

Correct.

PowerPath for Windows on W2K8

PowerPath/VE for Hyper-V on W2K8 with Hyper-V role enabled

This is not a technical issue.  It is all about license compliance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 12th, 2013 23:00

Hi Brion,

Thanks for the information

Can we install standard PowerPath in the guest OS in order to connect the virtual machine directly via NPIV to the array?

Were can we download PowerPath/VE for Hyper-V? its the same PowerPath for windows package?

Thanks

March 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ricardo,

If you run Powerpath on the Hyper-V Server the physical host:

- install normal Powerpath

- install the Powerpath/VE License key

If you run Powerpath on the Hyper-V Virtual Machine (guest OS):

- install normal Powerpath

- install normal License key

There is no seperate installer, there is ONLY a difference in Licensing

HTH,

Edwin.