Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

February 25th, 2019 08:00

Windows Server 2016 and PowerPath

Hello,

it´s the first time for me to work with PowerPath. I'm a bit awkward.

Our environment:

VMware vCenter 6.5

Storage two VNX5400 and a EMC VPLEX Metro.

PowerPath Version 6.3

We have some Windows 2008 and 2012 Server - both versions run in seperat Clusters - everything works fine.

The installation was done before my time.

Now we need a new Windows 2016 Cluster. I have installed the OS and i see the presented RAW-LUNs from the VPLEX. My problem is that the validation test from microsoft has problems with the LUNs.

My question is:

Do i have to install a additional Software (PowerPath) on the Windows Server that PowerPath works correct? Because in this document (https://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu89663.pdf) the speak about PowerPath installer for Windows. Or is this only for installations on Hardware?

Thank you...

33 Posts

March 19th, 2019 08:00

good morning, you mention vcenter so that would be powerpath installed on the hw using pp/ve and rtools. powerpath for vmware sw as i understand from your environment if the luns are seen as rdm(raw device mapped) luns then the host(i.e. the VM) will only see them as local disks and powerpath wont be able to manage them(as they show up as local disks, not emc attached luns). regarding issues with the lun validation test with microsoft i think best you engage microsoft on that. you may also open up an SR with Dellemc and we can check the environment out as well. the only time ive seen powerpath installed on a vm (in which you are using vcenter) is using iscsi, rdm wont see the luns otherwise except as local disks. can we validate if the current powerpath being used is po/ve (powerpath for vmware) or physical powerpath for windows? please open an SR and we can get more information and check the host as well to see where the issue lies more specifically otherwise thank you
No Events found!