Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2013 16:00

Dell PV124T vs. Dell 12G R320

hi,

current situation:

one of our customers is using a PV124T LTO-4 120 SAS with a R510 on a SAS 5/E PCIe Storage Controller.

Since the customer is a few hours away to check out what kind of connector is used.

I think at the moment here is a MINI2IB Connector (SAS 5/E Controller) and a SFF-8088 Connector (LTO-4 120 SAS) with a cable to connect them.

If i am wrong in any case please correct me.

new situation to be realized: The customer wants a dedicated Backup Server so we chose an R320.

Our Dell technical channel consultant told me there is no way to use the PV124T in a supported configuration on an R320 since the SAS 5/E is not supported in 12G Servers and a SAS 6Gbit HBA is not compatible with the 3Gbit Connector of the PV124T.

In my opinion he is wrong since Dell Website says:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/dell-6gbps-sas-ita-spec-sheet.pdf

The PowerEdge 6Gbps SAS Controller is backward compatible with 3Gbps SAS devices. Regardless of the drive speed, the PowerEdge 
6Gbps SAS Controller delivers significant performance improvements in both read and write applications as compared to their 3Gbps 
predecessors.

and an R320 can be ordered with that HBA
and the external storage support Matrix (http://www.dell.com/perc) says: "A"dapter == supported
and it should be no problem to order an SFF-8088 - SFF-8088 cable with an R320 as well (or with any distributor of my choice)

feedback is welcome.

kind regards

Torsten

PS: can anyone clean up the "Tags" to choose... it is some kind of fubar... lots of doublets and useless tags. ;)

• 

7.1K Posts

March 13th, 2013 17:00

Hello toki76,

Yes you can use a SAS6gb card in an R320 server and it will work with the PV124T LTO4.  Here is a link to the support matrix for the PV124T. ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/Common/powervault-124t_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf If you look on page 8 you will see that the SAS 6gb card is listed as compatible with the PV 124T LTO4. If you also look on page 9 it shows that the R320 server & the SAS 6gb card are compatible. 

What you will need to do is to get the SAS 6gb cable as you can’t use the SAS 5e cable due to the different end on that cable.  Here is a link to the proper cable that you will need to get. The link is going to say that the cable is for HDD & if you look under the compatibility list that is given in the link you will see the TL2000 & TL4000 which uses the same cable as you can compare that to the matrix that is listed above for the PV124T. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=330-8631&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 

7.1K Posts

Hello Torsten,

Yeah not sure why that is the wrong picture but I will put in to get the correct picture put up for that cable.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

14 Posts

Hi Sam,

the funny thing about that cable is, that its picture is a HDMI Cable / Connector.

I think it must be a normal SFF-8088 cable (which is the normal SAS connector for such devices)

thx anyway for being a lot more cabaple that our techical channel consultant.

cheers

Torsten

No Events found!