Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2017 10:00

Powervault NX3100 restore image or media

Hello,

I have a Powervault NX3100 with a COA for Storage Server 2008.

Where can I find/how can I get the files to restore to original on new storage?

Thank you,

Mike

15 Posts

May 1st, 2017 07:00

help? please

• 

6.9K Posts

May 1st, 2017 08:00

Hello Mike,

Is your NX3100 still under warranty? The ISO for the NX3100 is not available for download off the dell website. The only way to get the ISO is to contact support.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

15 Posts

May 1st, 2017 10:00

Thanks for replying,

Unfortunately, no it is not still under warranty.  What's the best option available for me to contact support and request the iso?  

15 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 07:00

Sam can I email you a link to a secure ftp site to upload the iso to?

15 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 07:00

If anyone has an image for one of these I would very much appreciate some help

I'm out of warranty and "triage" is telling me since they don't know where the image is they would have to sell me a new warranty so I can speak with an engineer who might know where an image is.

I'm just trying to set this thing up in my lab so I can play with storage server (which I do have the coa for and every right to).

15 Posts

May 16th, 2017 08:00

Ok, I got the re installation media.  Of course it's a DVD and my nx3100 is the 12 bay model.

I could make an iso of the dvd and use rufus to make a bootable usb from the iso to reinstall in bios mode.

Anyone know how to create a uefi bootable usb from this DVD?

15 Posts

May 16th, 2017 19:00

I was going to go ahead and install in bios mode, take an image with dism, switch to uefi, and then apply the image but I ran into a problem during installation.

Installation aborts with error 5001 invalid system.  Was I sent the wrong reinstall media or are there requirements for a certain virtual disc configuration or perhaps the nic configuration? 

I currently have the gigabit ports disabled in bios and the only virtual disk configured is the raid 0 for the internal 2.5 ssd.

The log doesn't give much explanation.  The part relative to the error follows below

**********************************************************************************************************

VERIFYING SYSTEM
Shell Exec: X:\Dell\Toolkit\Tools\syscfg.exe --sysid

-------------------------
Obtaining PowerVault OS configuration information for 0460
-------------------------
Shell Exec: X:\Dell\Toolkit\Tools\syscfg.exe --lcd=user
Shell Exec: X:\Dell\Toolkit\Tools\syscfg.exe --lcd1="OS reinstall error: -5001. User input required"

Error occured:
Error code: -5001
Error string:
Invalid system
Error details:
This operation is not supported on this system

15 Posts

May 18th, 2017 06:00

Is this forum the right place to be posting?  I seem to mostly be talking to myself.

In case anyone ever reads this:

Examining what's actually on the reinstall disc I determined most of what is on there is bios mode boot stuff for some sort of winpe.  The images folder holds a single file: pvos.wim and the startup folder seems to hold the batch files, executables and required files to be run on first boot after the wim is applied.

I copied the pvos.wim and startup folder to a usb drive with the batch file I use for setting up disks and applying win10 images on mobile devices and booted to win10 winpe and used my batch to setup my disk and apply the pvos.wim.  The only hitch was ss2008 doesn't have bcdboot so I had to copy it from the winpe environment to use it to create the boot files in my system partition.  This got me booting to storage server 2008 in uefi on a gpt ssd.

I didn't examine the unattend file in the pvos.wim and I'm not getting any assistance here so I didn't know how the startup files are called or where they are supposed to reside so I gave it my best guess and copied them to the root of the windows partition while I was in winpe.  They didn't get executed on first boot so I guess that isn't the right location.  Executing startup.bat from an elevated command prompt after booting seems to have worked acceptably.  It asked me to provide a file location for nas application software which I guess I didn't have in the right place either so I just downloaded and executed the nas application software installation from the support site and canceled browsing for the executable.  This also skipped the "storage software" section of the initial setup routine.  Hopefully I didn't loose anything there.  Roles are setup.  Computer wasn't renamed as port of the setup routine which I had noticed was part of the startup bat.  

If anyone ever reads this and wants to assist  I'd love to hear if I missed anything.

1 Message

August 7th, 2017 19:00

do you mind to share your installation media with me? im also having problem to reinstall my powervault.

February 26th, 2018 07:00

This is a bit old, but does anybody have the OEM windows storage server DVD?

Thank you in advance

1 Message

September 27th, 2018 11:00

Hi Sam, 

I saw your reply on the Dell community Q&A. My company has a Powervault NX3100 that suddenly stopped working after a power glitch. The server rack still powers on through the KVM, but can't boot up because the disks inside stopped working. I did a google search on the issue and came across this article. I can't find any info on data recovery for a high-scale Powervault server. Could I get a copy of the ISO. I read from your reply that "The ISO for the NX3100 is not available for download off the dell website." My NX3100 is not under warranty. 

Thanks.

-Ben. 

9.3K Posts

September 27th, 2018 16:00

Data recovery for this unit should be just a restore of your data from the backups.

Most backup software solutions offer a bare-metal-restore option by booting to media that you can make with their software, point the recovery software to the network location where the backup is stored and let it restore. This can then restore the whole OS and all data partitions.

No Events found!