Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 17th, 2007 03:00

136T Dell PowerVault Perm Error- See User Guide- SAC: 98 34 Code: 0X6011

I have a 136T DellPowerVault with two libraries and the top one is giving me trouble. Drive 4 continuously has a red light in the back even after unseating it and powering down the top library several times. Drives 5 and 6 (also in the top) are green but constantly go to a mixed state, so I downed them because it was causing trouble with other backups. I am getting unmount failures where tapes in drives 4, 5, and 6 never mount, so no duplications never start on those drives. The top library for my 136T displays the following on the LCD. Perm Error See User Guide SAC: 98 34 Code: 0X6011 According to the troubleshooting section, the SAC of 98 means that the firmware variant installed on the tape drive is not supported by the Library, the 3 represents the drive sled, and 4 represents the drive. The troubleshooting section also states that if I have a certified spare tape drive module available I should replace it. Do I have any other available options besides this one? It seems like I should just be able to upgrade to the newest firmware, but I do not know for certain. Also, if anyone could tell me how this could have happened I would appreciate it, because it just cropped up out of the blue. Thank you for your time.

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

April 18th, 2007 17:00

It sounds like you have drives 5&6 chained from drive 4. As that is giving errors it could be throwing the other 2 drives out.

Swap drive 4 with drive 6, if it's a bad drive the fault will follow the drive. If it does, then disconnect it. That way you can use the other 5 drives to backup.

Either way the best option is to contact Dell tech and get it sorted through them.

The firmware upgrades for this library are simple, the package contains a readme.htm, which lists the process. All you need is the serial cable that came with the library and a server that's attached to the library. Follow the docs and you can't go wrong.

2 Posts

April 19th, 2007 08:00

I have resolved the issue by doing exactly what you stated yesterday. Thank you for your input, it is nice to know that i did the right thing and am not an idiot. Well total idiot... Could not find a serial cable anywhere however and had to do it through the snc with a null modem.
No Events found!