Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2020 12:00

After power outage MD3200 does not come back online

I have a PowerVault MD3200 enclosure with 2 MD32 series SAS controller modules.  We had multiple power outages this weekend and, unbeknownst to me, the UPS attached to the enclosure had failed.

My servers come up fine but cannot communicate to the enclosure at all.  When I look at the front, I have the power light is green and the "Enclosure Status" is a solid amber light.  On the back of BOT of the M32 series controllers, I see an amber light for the "Controller Fault" led. One is weaker than the other but both seem to be on.It also looks like the "Battery Fault" is on as well.  I have attached a picture to this post

I have tried to open the management software that I used through the SAS cables and it could not find the enclosure.  I also attempted to add a new one to the software after connecting ethernet cables to both mangement ports on the M32 series controllers, then connect my PC with the mangement software to the ethernet hub.  I set my laptops ethernet adapter to 192.168.128.100.  From what I am reading, the enclosure will attempt to find an IP through DHCP and after 160 seconds it will set controller 1 to 192.168.129.101 and the second to .102.  I could not get that to work either when attempting to "Add" a new enclousure and selecting "Out of Band" then entering the 101 and 102 IP addresses.  I can see the green activity lights on the management ports blink twice a few times but it does not connect.

I do not think I have the serial cables anymore.  Any help would be appreciative.  I had Raid 10 setup with extra failover drives and redundant everything.  I have never run into this after an outage before.  I'm hoping that if I have to replace these M32 series controllers, it will just "come back up"...IMG_1642.JPG

June 29th, 2020 07:00

I ended up running the clearHardwareLockdown command on both controllers and that did the trick.

• 

631 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 08:00

Hello Memphis_Ford,

Since you had multiple power outages, I am guessing that the controllers are in a lockdown state.  What is going to need to be done is to connect to each controller via the serial cable and see if the controllers are in a lockdown state.  If the controllers are in a lockdown state, then you will need to clear the lockdown so that your controllers can boot normally. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

June 24th, 2020 14:00

I have ordered a serial cable.  Do you happen to have instructions or a link on how to get connected with the serial cable and the commands to check if they are in lockdown (and to clear them if they are)?

• 

631 Posts

June 24th, 2020 14:00

Hello Memphis_Ford,

Here are the steps to connect to the serial connection on the controllers.

1. Startup a terminal emulation program like putty, teraterm, minicom or hyperterminal using these terminal settings (115200-8-n-1).
  2. You will need to remove controller0 for 1 minute and then insert it back into the slot so that you can watch the boot.
  3. If you see the start of the day message, then your controller has fully booted. If your controller is in a lockdown state, then it will tell you the lockdown that is in place.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

June 26th, 2020 12:00

I got a serial cable and was able to get to the VXWorks login and successfully logged in.  At the --> prompt I typed lemClearLockdown and it came back with "C interp: unknown symbol name 'lemClearLockdown'"  Any suggestions?

• 

631 Posts

June 26th, 2020 15:00

Hello Memphis_Ford,

Has the backplane been replaced on your MD3200?  I ask as the error that you are getting is an incorrect ID error.  What is needed to be done is to run a command to correct the ID.  Due to the nature of this we don’t provide the command to customers as only support agents can run the command.

No Events found!