Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2015 10:00

Bare metal restore

Our R710 WIN2008r2 server C: is out of space. I need to replace the hard drives with larger ones.

What is the best way to do this?I'm thinking Bare metal Backup/Restore.

I have a 6/i  internal RAID card and a 6/e connecting a RAID ARRAY.
I want to store the BMR image on the RAID ARRAY.(6/E)
I understand I will need RAID drivers for the internal Card 5/e and the drivers for the 6/i

Where/how should I store the drivers? We are not allowed to use Flash drives, but I do have connected external USB Hard drives. But they are not large enough to store the image

14 Posts

May 14th, 2015 14:00

You lost me with this paragraph-

"Select the 'SAS RAID'  option, and for each PERC you need drivers for, click "View Details". This will give you the "hard drive" package option. (which is just a self extractor to put the drivers in a folder, not an EXE for install) "

The links downloaded the exe, the extract to a folder of my choice.

What are you referring to in the paragraph?

May 14th, 2015 14:00

Hello, Evanspa.

So, to start, you'll need to download the "hard drive package" drivers from our support site:

(assuming the OS is WIN2008r2)

For the PERC 6/i: downloads.dell.com/.../SAS_RAID_PERC6i-int_6.3.3-0002_A00_ZPE.exe

For the PERC 6/e: downloads.dell.com/.../SAS_RAID_PERC6E_6.3.3-0002_A00_ZPE.exe

IF you're going to use an OS other than that, then you can go to: www.dell.com/.../drivers

Select the 'SAS RAID'  option, and for each PERC you need drivers for, click "View Details". This will give you the "hard drive" package option. (which is just a self extractor to put the drivers in a folder, not an EXE for install)

THEN, the drivers need to be stored on some external media (like the USB hard drives you mentioned previously).

You may need to press the F6 option to load RAID drivers, OR if I remember correctly, WIN2k8r2 may have them natively. (I'm not sure about the latter)

I hope that answers your question. Let me know.

May 14th, 2015 15:00

I suppose that was a little confusing. I was trying to be sure that you understood that there were 2 options for downloading the drivers.

One option is an 'installer' version, that runs an install wizard. This wouldn't be good for pointing the OS to for drivers. What you need is a clean extraction of the drivers to a folder.

The links I provided are for WIN2008r2.

I was trying to give you a "step by step" on where to click to find them for a different OS - without a huge production of screenshots and the like.  :)

BUT, if these links work, then great!

I hope the rest was clear?

14 Posts

May 15th, 2015 07:00

No worries. I think I got it.

One last Q: The C: & D: partitions are on the same Phys disk (mirrored). If I replace the drives with larger ones, will I be able to put the original drives back in should the BMR fail?

May 15th, 2015 10:00

Actually, yes.  Should the BMR fail, that should be just fine as long as you put them back in the right slots. (just like they were before.)

No Events found!