Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2009 16:00

Block device missing after reboot. MD3000i, r610

I am running CentOS5.4 and am having issues with my MD3000i after rebooting my host node.

I ran the configuration utility to configure my MD3000i and installed MD Storage Manager to configure the host/targets etc. Everything works til I reboot.

However I noticed that nothing was added to the /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf after running the Dell configuration utility. The configuration utility doesn't add what I need to that file?

I can get to the block device after commenting out the volumes in /etc/fstab, and rebooting the server. After the server comes up, I am missing my VolGroups, so I run a vgscan to detect my Volume Groups, then to activate them I run vgchange -ay VolGroup01 and for VolGroup02. I un comment out my lines in /etc/fstab and then I can mount them.

I am also seeing this error in dmesg
494 [RAIDarray.mpp]NAME-SAN:1:0:0 Cmnd-failed try alt ctrl 0. vcmnd SN 13 pdev H7:C0:T0:L0 0x05/0x94/0x01 0x08000002 mpp_status:1

I am thinking that iscsi or iscsid cannot connect to my MD3000i since nothing is setup in /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf, but once the Dell SMAgent is running, everything starts working and then I am able to.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

December 29th, 2009 06:00

What is your iSCSI network setup? Are you direct connection (crossover/patch cables directly from 2 NICs to a port on each raid controller), going through 1 or 2 dedicated&isolated Gbit switches, or using dedicated&isolated VLANs on 1 or 2 separate switches?

I've seen similar symptoms being caused by spanning tree being enabled on the switch/vlan being used for iSCSI.

41 Posts

January 4th, 2010 12:00

I am using switches with VLAN's.

41 Posts

January 4th, 2010 20:00

I haven't changed anything on the switch. It might be related to using CHAP and not having anything setup in /etc/iscsid.conf

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 4th, 2010 20:00

So did the disabling of spanning tree (of setting it at least to rapid spanning tree/port fast) fix your problem?

154 Posts

January 5th, 2010 09:00

You mentioned that everything works when the Dell SMagent is running. So, are you manually starting the agent? Or is this failing before the agent comes up? SMagent ensures that multipathing works fine but block devices should technically still show up (multiple times if SMagent is not running and you have multiple paths set up to a controller).

I am not sure if it is a problem with the iscsid.conf file as the settings are not stored there if the iscsiadm command line is used. Maybe the config utility uses that.

-Mohan

41 Posts

January 5th, 2010 13:00

I found this and it looks useful

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Products/HA/DellRedHatHALinuxCluster/Storage/PowerVault_MD3000i/Storage_Configuration#Modify_iSCSI_Settings

No Events found!