Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2014 15:00

Connecting/configuring PowerVault LTO-6 tape drive

Hi,

We have a Hyper-V host (OS:Hyper-V server 2012 R2-Core Edition) running on Dell PowerEdge R720 Server. Connected the tape drive to 6Gbps SAS HBA port.

Would we be able to see the tape drive on a Virtual machine running the hyper-v host ?

Are there any configurations/drivers settings to be done on the host ?

Thanks

• 

7.1K Posts

May 28th, 2014 06:00

Hello Suren24,

In most virtual environments tape drives are not supported.  For tape drives it is preferred that they run on a physical machine with a standard supported OS that supports the tape drive.  

Typically the only way that I have seen it work is that you will have to create a passthrough SCSI connection on the VM.  I have found that this does work sometimes for a while but will sometimes lose connection to the drive & not be able to regain a connection.  Now just to let you know if you have any issues with the tape drive & have to call support they will let you know that the tape drive will need to be in a supported configuration to properly test the drive.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.  

13 Posts

June 4th, 2014 20:00

I have connected the tape drive to the 6Gbps HBA SAS PCI card on Slot 5. But not able to see the tape drive on the backup software.

Are there any particular Slots where we need to connect the HBA card ?

On the HBA card it says "Model UCS-70". Is this the correct card ?

How to create a pass through SCSI connection .. could you help me on that ?

Thanks

• 

7.1K Posts

June 6th, 2014 09:00

Hello Suren24,

So it looks like with Hyper-v that there isn’t a SCSI pass through option as there is with most other virtual software’s.  So with that being said the only way to get a tape drive seen is that the drive will either need to be iSCSI or FC in order to be seen by the VM.  So you will need to put the drive on a physical server in order to get the drive seen since you don’t have an FC or iSCSI tape drive.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

August 26th, 2014 11:00

Hyper-V requires the full Windows install, not the core version, if you want to use the server to attach a backup drive.  I am not aware of any backup software that is designed to work in the core version of Windows Hyper-V server.

Also be aware that most backup solutions frown on running backup software on the same server as the Hyper-V server.  It can be done, just not suggested.  

If you are unable to acquire another server for backup, then add the full server install using the following command:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:ServerCore-FullServer /featurename:Server-Gui Shell /featurename:Server-Gui-Mgmt

Once the full install upgrade is complete you can install drivers for your tape drive/library, backup software, etc.

No Events found!