This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 19th, 2014 14:00

Dell/IBM Ultrium LTO-3 Internal Tape Drive NP742 - 23R4762

Dell/IBM Ultrium LTO-3 Internal Tape Drive NP742 - 23R4762
Want to buy a Dell/IBM Ultrium LTO-3 Internal Tape Drive NP742 - 23R4762. I can use it as a drive in windows 7? What is needed for this software? And if the tape drive is to buy used, then it would be necessary for him to just buy the cleaning cartridge?

• 

7.1K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 07:00

Hello Abraxass,

Yes the drive can be used in windows 7.  You will just need to make sure that you install the drivers for the drive & it should be seen.  Now to use the drive you will need to have some backup software like Backup assist, Backup Exec, etc. to control the take drive & keep a record of your backups.  I would purchase a cleaning tape when you purchase media for the drive as you will need to clean it at some point & the cleaning tapes last through 25-50 cleanings.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2014 07:00

Hello, I got the tape drive, based on LTO-2, but haven't can use it. The driver is installed, the equipment in windows 7 was defined correctly, service utility successfully tests the drive, but the drive is not seen as a drive. I was told that I need to format the tape, but the format tool asks you to specify the drive letter to which I do not know. Please explain to me what to do.

• 

7.1K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 06:00

Hello Abraxass,

What backup software is you using as you didn’t list it in your post?  If you are trying to use Windows native backup then it will not see the tape drive as a backup location.  What you will need to do is to get backup software from an 3rd party vendor and install it & then it should see your tape drive.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Message

July 14th, 2020 14:00

Hello,

where would I be able to find the drivers for the NP742 tape drive?

No Events found!