Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 8th, 2017 01:00

Dell MD3000i Active/Active

Hey guys,

I have a PowerVault 3000i storage array and I'm setting up iSCSI MPIO. I''m pulling my hair out why I'm seeing in VMware ESXi 6.5 that the MPIO is showing up as Active/Passive instead of Active/Active in VMware...

I must have tried setting this up in a variety of ways but I'm still getting Active /Passive. Any help would be greatly received? 

Thanks,

Martin

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

December 9th, 2017 19:00

The MD3000i is an active/passive designed SAN.

One controller owns a virtual disk and the other controller is the standby (passive) controller for that virtual disk.

If you have multiple virtual disks (whether they are on 1 disk group or multiple disk groups), they go round robin on which their preferred controller is. You can manually change the virtual disk's preferred controller (as well as the current controller if the disk moved to the non-preferred controller for some reason).

I do assume you set up the iSCSI subnetting properly (2 subnets; one port per controller in each subnet) and not put all ports on the same subnet.

Some of the newer MD3k SANs have firmware updates that enable ALUA, which makes the paths look all active.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2017 01:00

Amazing! Thanks!

Yup all setup correctly.

Can you tell me the MD3k (newer one) which make all paths look active, the are not actually active?

Thanks,

Martin

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

December 11th, 2017 19:00

Typically ALUA makes both controllers allow IO to come into their front-end ports, and then internally it sends it on to the controller than owns the LUN/Virtual Disk/Volume and that controller actually writes it to disk (on the back-end).

This gives the impression of active/active, but is not really fully active/active as the LUN is still owned by 1 controller at a time.

3 Posts

December 11th, 2017 23:00

I don't suppose, Oracle of SANs, that you know what revision of controllers that the firmware update supports? :)

Thanks for all your help with this :)

• 

7.1K Posts

December 12th, 2017 09:00

Hello Martin,

ALUA support is available on MD32xx/MD36xx, & MD34xx/MD38xx. ALUA is support on all versions of firmware for those systems.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!