Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2010 03:00

Dell MD3000i moving to redundant iSCSI config using NetGear GS724T v3, network issues.

I'm helping out my previous company with their Dell MD3000i.

Their current configuration is all 4 iSCSI ports are on the same subnet, connected to a VLAN on a Dell 5448 switch. The hosts are configured with two NIC's, one for the general network, one for the iSCSI network. Pretty straight forward config.

They are looking to implement a redundant iscsi configuration using 2 x NetGear GS724T v3's. 

So from a working configuration, we powered down the hosts and unplugged the iscsi connections from the Dell switch.

We started off by attempting to get it working on one Netgear switch first.

We configured the Netgear switch to have 2 ports on a management VLAN (1 for the SAN management port on C0 and another as a linked back to the main network) and the remaining ports on a different VLAN (for the iSCSI traffic)

The iSCSI ports on the SAN were configured as follow:

C0 I0 = 192.168.42.1

C0 I1 = 192.168.43.1

C1 I0 = 192.168.42.2

C1 I1 = 192.168.43.2

Ports C0 I0 and C1 I0 were plugged into the single switch.

Pinging is enabled on the MD3000i and we could ping when it was plugged in the Dell switch, but on the NetGear i get no replies at all, on any of the interfaces.

I have tried the same setup on the other switch, to rule out a dodgy switch.

Interesting, when plugging it back into the Dell switch when we realised we wasn't getting anywhere, we had to plug the cables back into their original ports they were plugged into. Not sure if this helps.

Any ideas?

KR

Gary

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

October 7th, 2010 07:00

Based on the info you can find by doing a Google search on "netgear gs724t iscsi" (one of the hits being this article), I would suggest to swap the Netgear switch with a pair of Powerconnect 5424's or maybe a pair of Cisco 3750's or so.

847 Posts

October 7th, 2010 08:00

My suggestion would be to, dump the vlan.   Configure each switch as an unmanaged switch, use one on each subnet and keep the lan / out of band management port off of these switches sompletely.   Connect the out of band mgt port to their existing lan and subnet.

847 Posts

October 7th, 2010 08:00

PS: Turn off all Jumbo frames on the san iSCSI ports, the switches, the hosts until you get it working.

154 Posts

October 7th, 2010 13:00

I agree with JohnAdco, VLANs are not essential. In fact, some switches allow you to have multiple subnets on the same switch without VLANs.

Additionally, have you enabled the spanning tree protocol with port fast on these switches? Are these ports working (can you ping through them when used with any other system?)

October 8th, 2010 08:00

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

Have tried all the suggestions. Unfortunately none seem to solve it :(

I am contemplating suggesting to them to get two Dell 5424's (same family as 5448 which they have), which will work.

Regards

Gary

No Events found!