Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2009 09:00

Disk Group - MD3000i

When I create a Disk Group with a RAID 5 configuration, I will always get a minimum of 557GB in size. Individual drives are 297GB a piece, plus the third disk for the RAID. I want to create smaller Virtual Disks in the Group. I can't figure out how.

Any Ideas?

154 Posts

May 21st, 2009 09:00

- Go to Configure --> Create Virtual Disks or Disk Groups,

- Select Unconfigured Capacity (and disk type if you have that option)

- Select Manual

- Select RAID 5

- Select and add all the disks you want to add to the disk group

- Click on calculate capacity

- If you have 1st generation firmware (Version starts with 06.xx.xx.xx),
    Type in the Virtual Disk capacity that you want to use.(The disk group is automatically created and initialized)

- If you have 2nd generation firmware (Version starts with 07.xx.xx.xx)
    Click on Finish to finish creating and initializing the disk group.
    Select Create a Virtual Disk using the new disk group
    Type in the Virtual Disk capacity that you want to use

- Map the VD appropriately

You can get your version info by clicking on Support-->Storage Array Profile --> Summary Tab --> under the Current Configuration heading.

9 Posts

May 21st, 2009 10:00

Great. Thanks.

One more question. In terms of performance for a Virtual Machine, what is better?

I'm creating a File Server with four Drives/Shares. It will be a VM. What setup is better?

1. Disk Group 558.GB VM on same Disk Group/LUN and within the VM create four drives(VMDK files) and use each drive as a share.

2. Disk Group 558GB. Create the VM on same Disk Group and create separate Virtual DIsks(LUNS) and attached them via iSCSI individually to the VM.

Thanks in advance!

9.3K Posts

May 21st, 2009 13:00

Performance wise I don't think it'll make much of a difference, however, option 1 is easier to manage, and option 2 allows you to use the MD3000i's snapshot features (assuming you purchased the license to enable this capability) and present a snapshot of the RDM to a backup server.

9 Posts

May 21st, 2009 15:00

Great. Thanks again for all your help!

Phil

154 Posts

May 21st, 2009 16:00

Here is a link that kinda explores the same

http://vmetc.com/2009/04/13/use-rdms-for-practical-reasons-and-not-performance-reasons/

I did hear that the using the VM file system had a higher IO overhead but that might not be the case any more as the blog above mentions.

- Mohan

No Events found!