Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2009 09:00

Disk Group - MD3000i

When I create a Disk Group with a RAID 5 configuration, I will always get a minimum of 557GB in size. Individual drives are 297GB a piece, plus the third disk for the RAID. I want to create smaller Virtual Disks in the Group. I can't figure out how.

Any Ideas?

154 Posts

May 21st, 2009 09:00

- Go to Configure --> Create Virtual Disks or Disk Groups,

- Select Unconfigured Capacity (and disk type if you have that option)

- Select Manual

- Select RAID 5

- Select and add all the disks you want to add to the disk group

- Click on calculate capacity

- If you have 1st generation firmware (Version starts with 06.xx.xx.xx),
    Type in the Virtual Disk capacity that you want to use.(The disk group is automatically created and initialized)

- If you have 2nd generation firmware (Version starts with 07.xx.xx.xx)
    Click on Finish to finish creating and initializing the disk group.
    Select Create a Virtual Disk using the new disk group
    Type in the Virtual Disk capacity that you want to use

- Map the VD appropriately

You can get your version info by clicking on Support-->Storage Array Profile --> Summary Tab --> under the Current Configuration heading.

9 Posts

May 21st, 2009 10:00

Great. Thanks.

One more question. In terms of performance for a Virtual Machine, what is better?

I'm creating a File Server with four Drives/Shares. It will be a VM. What setup is better?

1. Disk Group 558.GB VM on same Disk Group/LUN and within the VM create four drives(VMDK files) and use each drive as a share.

2. Disk Group 558GB. Create the VM on same Disk Group and create separate Virtual DIsks(LUNS) and attached them via iSCSI individually to the VM.

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 21st, 2009 13:00

Performance wise I don't think it'll make much of a difference, however, option 1 is easier to manage, and option 2 allows you to use the MD3000i's snapshot features (assuming you purchased the license to enable this capability) and present a snapshot of the RDM to a backup server.

9 Posts

May 21st, 2009 15:00

Great. Thanks again for all your help!

Phil

154 Posts

May 21st, 2009 16:00

Here is a link that kinda explores the same

http://vmetc.com/2009/04/13/use-rdms-for-practical-reasons-and-not-performance-reasons/

I did hear that the using the VM file system had a higher IO overhead but that might not be the case any more as the blog above mentions.

- Mohan

No Events found!