Start a Conversation

Unsolved

FP

10 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 03:00

Hot swap disk drive on MD1200 without OMSA or H810 Bios?

Good morning all,
I use an MD1200 made up of 12 3 TB SAS disks. I have a logical volume in RAID 6 with the 12 disks (including 1 spare).
I noticed that I have 2 disks whose indicator is orange, therefore, with problem ...
Can I hot swap (one at a time) the failed drives without going through OMSA (which does not work) or the Bios of the H810 RAID card?

Best regards,

Fabrice.

• 

3.7K Posts

October 22nd, 2020 07:00

Hello Fabrice PIQUOT,

Yes you can hot swap and rebuild should start automatically when the controller sees an available disk to rebuild to.

Check you get disk activity when inserted.

If it does not automatically start the rebuild, you will need to get to the controller BIOS to see if it detected a foreign on that drive that you need to clear and set the drive as hot spare. If there is no foreign configuration then just set it as hot spare and rebuild should start.

Please let me know if this helped.

October 22nd, 2020 21:00

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the reply!

I modify my statement. One drive is blinking amber (fail) and the second on amber and green (predicted failure).

Should I begin with the fail disk or by the predicted failure one ?

Best regards,

Fabrice.

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2020 03:00

Hello @Fabrice PIQUOT,

This kind of scenario raises a red flag for me. I would start making sure you have a backup of the data. With one disk failed and other about to fail. If you still have access, backup must be a priority.

This being said. You should always replace the failed disk first. The problem is that as the other disk is in pred fail status it could fail during rebuild. Still, you have to try it.

I also think that the firmware it is not updated. You need to check both PERC firmware and HDDs firmware.

I stronlg recommend you to fix the OMSA problem and regains access to the application. First, because you will be able to see much more information during all the process if you have access to OMSA.

And second because in order to replace a pred fail error disk. You need to set it up frist as Offline. Please, check this article: 

PowerEdge HDD: What is predicted Drive Failure and How to solve it? and Dell PowerEdge: How to switch offline a hard disk using OpenManage Server Administrator

So what is the error in OMSA?

Hope this helps.
Regards.

• 

3.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2020 06:00

Hello Fabrice,

If you're unable to open the port, alternately you can use our SupportLive image, boot the host to it and use the OMSA in that environment during your troubleshooting to manage the drives. You can even export logs to a USB thumb drive.

Dell Support Live Image Version 2.2

Support Live Image: u:root, p:dell

SLI 2.2 ISO Download  : https://www.dell.com/support/home/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CWF92

- User Guide (PDF)  : https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02725499M/1/SLI22_UserGuide.pdf

October 23rd, 2020 06:00

Hello Diego,

This kind of scenario raises a red flag for me. I would start making sure you have a backup of the data. With one disk failed and other about to fail. If you still have access, backup must be a priority.

My MD1200 is a Datastore to a PE R520 with VMware 6.5u2. All my VMs are saved by Veeam.

This being said. You should always replace the failed disk first. The problem is that as the other disk is in pred fail status it could fail during rebuild. Still, you have to try it.

It was my first thought to replace the failed disk, so, in case, I preferred to ask.

I also think that the firmware it is not updated. You need to check both PERC firmware and HDDs firmware.

You're absoluty right. Both are not updated for long time...

I stronlg recommend you to fix the OMSA problem and regains access to the application. First, because you will be able to see much more information during all the process if you have access to OMSA.

I follow all the instruction from Dell (french link) : https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr-fr/how10613/comment-installer-openmanage-server-administrator-omsa-sur-vmware-pour-collecter-des-journaux?lang=fr

I have the modules Dell installed :

VIB Dell.png

And yes, I restart the host, but no TCP 1311 port is open :

OMSA Port.png

And second because in order to replace a pred fail error disk. You need to set it up frist as Offline. Please, check this article: PowerEdge HDD: What is predicted Drive Failure and How to solve it? and Dell PowerEdge: How to switch offline a hard disk using OpenManage Server Administrator

I'll do it.

So what is the error in OMSA?

I can't connecto OMSA service from a computer (not a VM) on the same subnet cause the 1311 TCP port is closed (see my screenshoot).

Many thanks for the reply. You and Charles are life savers!

Best regards,

Fabrice.

October 26th, 2020 04:00

Hello Charles,

If you're unable to open the port, alternately you can use our SupportLive image, boot the host to it and use the OMSA in that environment during your troubleshooting to manage the drives. You can even export logs to a USB thumb drive.

I've write a discussion in Dell french forum and Mr Diego LOPEZ answers me : he ask me to install OMSA on a WIndows VMs of the host and try to connect to it.
But I keep in mind this solution.

Best regards,

Fabrice PIQUOT.

No Events found!