Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2015 20:00

How to tell lifetime hours of a hard drive in a Megaraid array

Hello,

I am looking for a way to tell what the lifetime power on hours of a SAS drive is if it is in a LSI MegaRaid raid array.

The controller card will not let me do JBOD. So I have to create a single disk Raid1 configuration to mimic that. The problem is, if I use the typical Linux commands to tell lifetime drive hours, it states that the drive does not report such statistics.

If I try booting into Windows, CrystalDiskInfo will not even see the drive, even if I initialize it and format it.

I do not see this info reported in Megaraid Storage Manager either.

Any solution to find such info on either Linux or Windows would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 25th, 2015 09:00

This info isn't typically made available through the API for the controller on LSI or Dell-branded controllers. Many LSI-based controllers (including Dell PERC's, except the H730) do not support JBOD, meaning that the disk is never made available to software for querying it directly.

10 Posts

October 26th, 2015 18:00

Yeah, that is why I figured that the typical Linux commands and CrystalDiskInfo would not see them. But you would think that the LSI cards would have a MegaRAID command that would query the information. It is already able to query most of the disk specific information.

Basically, I just bought 8x New 3TB Bulk OEM SAS drives and I'd like to ensure they are in fact new before I toss them into my Dell Power Vault's.

Anyone have any other idea's how I can verify the drives before I toss em in?

December 14th, 2018 07:00

This is the 30th unanswered thread I have came across on this same topic. How to see how many powered on hours. Come on Dell, don't you think we need to know this?????????

YES, yes we do!!!

1 Message

November 1st, 2023 04:09

Unfortunately, the many different parameters like number of power cycles, power on hours, total bytes written, etc., which are part of the SMART NVRAM parameters so frequently used on SATA drives are not available in SAS drives. SAS drives although they have a fast transfer rate, are pretty dumb, so this data is not available.

It does make it tough to know on a used SAS drive how used it is, which is very unfortunate.  My SAS drives are only 6 Gbits/sec transfer, but nowadays SAS can go 12 GBITS, while Sata II at the time was only 3, but now Sata III is up to 6 Gbits (not really, more like 4.8 Gbits). 

I keep hoping for a RAID 6 config for M2 drives. with hot swap.  I guess nvme drives can do hot swap, and an x2 nvme SSD is something like 32 Gbits.

No Events found!