Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2013 05:00

ITDT DCR not detecting

Hi

I've got a dell poweredge 2950 server connected to a powervault tl2000, i'm running symantec backup exec 2010 and has been working fine for the past 2-3years..

I've come across a problem which i have posted in a seperate post but i've also got a problem with the ITDT DCR not detecting my powervault..

its still connected and appears in the device manager but the ITDT DCR doesnt detect it??/

• 

7.1K Posts

February 13th, 2013 07:00

Hello gbirdee7,

You need to stop the services of Backup exec in order to get ITDT to see the TL2000.  Backup Exec has a software lock on the unit that will come off once the services has been stopped.  Once all BUE services has been stopped then do a scan & it will find the TL2000.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

8 Posts

February 13th, 2013 08:00

Hi Sam, Many thanks for your response, but I've stopped all 7 backup exec services and the scan still comes back with nothing......

25 Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

Hi   Does the device show up in Windows Device Manager? If the Powervault doesnt show in the Device Manager there is a hardware problem or something wrong with the connections.

Here are a few suggestions:

Do a full power cycle of the powervault tl2000 by:

1. Power Off the Server

2. Power off the Tape Drive

3. Power on the Tape Drive to a 'Ready' State

4. Power on the Server

Check Windows Events for System Events: Event ID's 5,7,9,11,15 These errors point to hardware errors.

Event ID 5. This error indicates SCSI parity errors. This error can be caused by a faulty SCSI card or a faulty SCSI termination. If this error occurs, contact the hardware's manufacturer.

Event ID 7. This error indicates that bad blocks exist. This error can be caused by an outdated tape device driver, faulty media, or dirty read/write heads on the tape drive. To correct this error, update to the most recent Backup Exec tape device drivers, run a cleaning job, and replace the media with new media, if possible. If the error continues, contact the hardware vendor.

Event ID 9. This issue indicates SCSI bus timeouts. This error usually occurs when the SCSI bus resets itself, or when the SCSI hardware does not respond quickly. To correct this error, slow down the SCSI bus and install the most recent SCSI drivers and firmware.

and

sometimes this error is caused when another device shares the same cable. In certain high-end servers, you may need to move the SCSI card to a different Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) slot that does not share the same bus as a RAID controller.

Event ID 11. This error indicates controller errors that are usually caused when the hardware does not function properly. To correct this error, slow down the SCSI bus and install the most recent SCSI drivers and firmware.

Event ID 15. This error indicates that the device is not ready to be accessed. This error usually occurs when the device is malfunctioning or is configured incorrectly. This error may also occur if the incorrect drivers are loaded or the drivers are not up to date

In services make sure the Removable Storage Service is stopped and disabled

Check the Powervault Web interface and make sure there isnt anything stuck in the drive.

when the device shows up, restart the Backup Exec services again and run an inventory

I apoligize for the long post and hope something here helps.

Lenora Moss

Backup Exec Technical Support Engineer

8 Posts

February 14th, 2013 00:00

Hi - thanks for your help but there are no errors in the event logs, and also can't find a removeable storage service on Windows 2008...

Tried powering both machines down and then restarting but still nothing!

25 Posts

February 19th, 2013 07:00

In the device manager under Medium Changer devices  look to see if you have a windows compatible medium changer driver installed.  If you see "unknown meduim changer" then compatible drivers need to be installed.

In the following document there is a list of things to check for this type of issue. www.symantec.com/.../index

• 

7.1K Posts

February 19th, 2013 08:00

Hello gbirdee7,

If you need to install the drivers then here is a link to the TL drivers.  Now for using backup exec you need to install the file install_nonexclusive for Library & drives. Doing the driver install will require a reboot once complete but can install both the library & drives then do a single reboot instead of a reboot after each. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/powervault-tl2000?driverId=7NH5M&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=3126064765

Please let us know if you have any other questions

No Events found!