Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2017 21:00

ITDT fails on PERFORMANCE DATA with UNEXPECTED DATA

ITDT fails on PERFORMANCE DATA with UNEXPECTED DATA

OK here is how it's connected with drivers versions etc:

HP DL160G6 running Windows Server 2008 R2 (Up to date) --> HP P411 SAS HBA (Firmware 6.64) --> New SAS cable --> TL4000 (2 x LTO 4 IBM Drives)

In device manager I see "Unknown Medium Changer" and under Tape drives I see "IBM ULT3580-HH4 SCSI Sequential Device" as I should.

Unknown Medium Changer is using the stock Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006 version 6.1.7601.17514

IBM ULT3580-HH4 SCSI Sequential Device is using the stock Microsoft driver dated 6/21/2006 version 6.1.7600.16385

The Library shows up as "3573-TL" in ITDT running "C.30" firmware.

The LTO4 Half Height drives show up as "ULT3580-HH4" in ITDT running "C7QJ" firmware

IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool - Graphical Edition version is 9.1.0.20161006

First I stop all Backup Exec services via "BEUtility".

When I run ITDT I scan and the drives appear in the list as they should.

I select the drive not the library and click TEST --> HEALTH TEST

It goes through the motions for about 6-8 minutes and eventually fails with error code "UNEXPECTED DATA" on "PERFORMANCE DATA.

Now I've tried multiple different tapes some brand new and some that have data on that I don't care about. I can confirm these drives work as I've pulled the 2 LTO4 HH version 1 drives in question from the TL4000 and put them into a TL2000. They pass every ITDT test possible. I've tried the Symantec drives and it fails with the same issue. I did try the TL4000 drivers located here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0T0DW however they work but with ridiculously slow speeds of 7 MB/s. I believe this is driver related but I don't know which to use as 7 MB/s is completely unacceptable. Maybe I missed something somewhere.

I have the dumps/logs from one test via Server --> TL4000 when it fails and I have the dumps/logs from another test of the exact same drive but with the iSCSI to SAS card in the TL4000. I have the dumps/logs attached below:

Serial numbers have been redacted.

** Screen Caps, ITDT Files, and Drive Dumps can be found at the following link due to forum upload size limits **

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Cj8ywlDoD5el9TOFVuNGxQcGM

I have uploaded to the link above a screen cap, drive dump, and ITDT lib dump for when I tried using the IBM and Dell drivers which yielded 7.93MB/s. It's in it's own folder with a read me explaining what driver versions, etc.

I'm at my wits end with this. Any insight possible would help.

Thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

April 11th, 2017 07:00

Hello pat_g84,

Since you are using Backup Exec for the drivers did you use the install_nonexclusive drivers? Also when it fails do you get any other errors on your TL4000 or just errors shown with ITDT? Also I can’t access the location that you uploaded the logs to so I can review them. I will send you an email using the email address that is in your profile and if you can send me the logs then I can review them to see why you are getting the error.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2017 19:00

Sam I've tried non exclusive and exclusive, the windows server 2008 r2 stock drivers, symantec tape drives. The either all fail in ITDT or they pass but run extremely slow in ITDT.

===============

I'm getting errors in BE, I was getting drive logged out a while ago but that seems to have resolved itself.

I know the LTO4 HHv1 drives work flawlessly as I've swapped them into a TL2000 with an iSCSI card and they reach 70+MB/s through iSCSI.

I sent you 3 emails with 3 sets of dumps. There is explanation in the post and in the zipped files of which dump goes where.

Pat

33 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 14:00

Have you ever resolved this?

I have a similar issue and can't seem to be able to find the cause of this...

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

September 4th, 2018 00:00

its hard to say for sure, it could be a mainboard problem on the drive which can cause all sorts of problems.

• 

6.9K Posts

September 4th, 2018 06:00

Hello trotting,

We would need to look at a drive dump from your drive and the service dump from your TL.  If you login to the web utility for your TL, & go to the Service Library menu, then select Save Drive Dump.   You will have an option of where to save the log on your local machine.  I will send you a private message so that you can send me the log.  Also, if you can provide me a service dump log as well. To get the service dump you go to the view logs tab. You should show a button that says Save Service Dump. If you don’t have that button then select the view button, & then the Save Service Dump should show.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!