Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2009 00:00

Instalation PowerVault 220S

Hello,

I want install a PowerVault 220S with a PowerEdge 2850. The PV 220S is connected to channel 2 at the RAID Adapter. Then I start the OpenManage Server Assistan 4.5 to onstall the RAID with all disks. At the view of the RAID with Crtrl-M I saw all disks. In the Assistant Tool I saw the disks to. The disk size is 146 GB (appr. 130 GB netto). This will be an amount round about 2,6 TB over all 20 disks. I choos all disks but the total maximum amount with RAID 0 will be only 1 TB.

How can I choose the whole 2,6 TB. Is there another tool to do that? May be I get a second RIAD Adapter to have more channels?

I am looking forward to a good anser and a howtodo?!

Thank you, Ralf

9.3K Posts

December 29th, 2009 06:00

You didn't mention which raid controller you're using, but none of the Dell SCSI raid adapters will ever be able to make a virtual disk over 2TB. This capability wasn't introduced on Dell PERCs till the PERC5, which supports only SAS and SATA drives.

Also; how did you get to 20 drives? The PV220S only has 14 drive bays, and I don't see mention of a 2nd PV220S.

Which OS are you using?

13 Posts

December 29th, 2009 08:00

Hi,

thank you for the quick answer. I am using a DELL PERC 4/DC Controller. It is a controller on the PCI Slot and not the internal. On the internal channel interface I have 6 146GB Drives and at the PV 220S I have 14 146GB drives. Toghether this are 20 drives.

Now the question is open: How I can make all drives with full capacity available for the maschine? I am using a CentOS Linux based system named OpenFiller to manage the storage. It workng nice with the PE 2850 internal storage. But the problem wll be the storage on the PV 220S. In the furture I will install 300GB HDs t the maschine and you are right I will connect a second PV 220S to the server. It should be working as storage server system for a cloud system.

How can I doing that? Is there another strategy to use the full capacity and power of the storage?

Kind Regards and thnak you for  an answer, Ralf

9.3K Posts

December 29th, 2009 12:00

I'm not sure it's possible to mix internal and external drives in a single raid set, but even if it is, I'd recommend to stay as far away as possible from doing that. Even with software raid I wouldn't recommend it.

To be able to use a lot of space, I'd first recommend to just use 2 drives in a raid 1 for the boot disk and then buy a PERC5E or PERC6E with an MD1000 and use larger SAS or SATA drives instead of SCSI drives. The 2850 should have a PCIe slot to accomodate the PERC5E/6E.

13 Posts

December 30th, 2009 01:00

Hi,

is there no possibility to use the full capacity with the RAID controller? Is it possible to use the capacity with SCSI disk by disk and Soft-RAID? How can I configure that the controller to use only SCSI mode?

Kind Regards and thank you for your advice.

9.3K Posts

December 30th, 2009 06:00

If you value your data, I wouldn't do this, but if you don't care if your data is lost, you can try this:

- set every single drive up as a single disk raid 0

- let the OS run a software raid on all these drives (may as well go raid 0 for the performance (if you lose 1 drive in a raid 0, you lose all data!!!))

13 Posts

December 31st, 2009 04:00

Yes, you are right!

My plan is tho use raid 10. I have two PV 220S and I want use 300GB HDs in all slots. What is the best configuration to have the most capacity with a good peformance and a fair value of saving the data on the storage? With 300GB HDs I have net 4,2 TB in each array. Mirroed it will be 2TB in each array. How can I use this capacity? Is it possible with older PERC3 or PREC4 controllers?

Thanky you in advance

9.3K Posts

December 31st, 2009 06:00

If you value your data:

- do not cross enclosures with raid containers

- do not use software raid on top of hardware raid (a single disk raid 0 isn't really hardware raid; it is just a single disk)

So I'd make a raid 10 in each PV220S and another with the drives in the server.

You can use different mountpoints, but I'd say away from trying to make it 1 volume/partition spanned across all of them.

No Events found!